Dosing off

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Deft7, Oct 21, 2016.

1. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    Joe, you popped of without reading the thread.
    Multiple options were given that you obviously missed.
    Try reading before posting.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    If the dude is literally dozing off like described there aren't multiple options.

Try this and if you still fall asleep at work then try this and so on might be an option if you're sitting at a desk.

Tonythetruckerdude Thanks this.
  4. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    This happened to me in 2002, I simply dozed off in the middle of a day and went off the road, not to a ditch luckily , nevertheless I cut a few small Christmas trees and wind up in bushes. Could have killed someone, could have killed myself. I scratched the cabin and the exhaust pipe was hanging loose. I was able to pull myself out of there and get back to a terminal. It was a 55 mph road and I did slap myself on the face and it did not help. The only way to avoid this is to stop and lay down...on the exit, shoulder wherever. And there is no other remedies to that. Feeling drowsy and driving is comparable to driving while drunk. The only other thing I can say that I feel much less fatigued/sleepy on the road, after I lost 30 lbs of weight some time ago and have managed to keep it off.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    My mind shut down at speed on 95 north one day, I had been up 30 hours plus waiting around for a container in Norfolk after a run the previous early morning. Heading home (With a mack 60's day cab, no sleeper in sight...) logs be ######.

The road crew had shut all the lanes kicking all of us off to the east ramp and there was more crew waving orange flags constantly to kick us off even that ramp. Dreaming about those stupid flags saved them I woke up enough to negotiate the rig onto the smaller bypass road (Probably US1 or similar) and that woked me up enough to Dumfries.

As I see it, 6 lives put themselves in risk with me being stupid to fall asleep. A entire box of caffine did not work that day either. When you have had enough, your mind will just click. Off. Whatever you are doing when it does physics take over and death starts his dance.

My solution? Quit. And find something with sleeper trucks.

Ke6gwf Thanks this.
  6. Deft7

Deft7 Bobtail Member

Oct 21, 2016
    thanks for all the information

7. kidsdad

kidsdad Medium Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    central illinois
    the biggest cause of daytime sleepiness, dehydration. No more soda's, energy drimks, coffee. ice water, lots and lots of ice water. Is this whats wrong? I don't know, but it can be a big contributer.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Make that either gatorade or tea. Not just plain water.

I recall working all day on a horse farm with a thermos of hot tea in winter. That was really what was necessary to do that kind of labor.

And years later we would guzzle 10 to 20 dollars worth of gatorade retail (Something like a dollar a half gallon in those days.) during blacktop shoveling and stone throwing. Wages were hundred or more per day so.. piss the gatorade even in the hottest of summer. No one dropped.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  9. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Some tea is ok but too much is bad
    Gatorade may be good for those doing hard labor but when you are just driving around stick to water.

Bob Dobalina and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    70/30 mix, or closer to 50/50 if it's a sweaty day... Not good to drink entirely one or the other.

Ke6gwf Thanks this.
  11. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    It sounds like you have cancer.
    Or maybe it is just the apnea, I think I'd try the nose strips for 10 bucks before going to a doctor
    IMG_3079.PNG

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    scottied67 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.