Dosing off

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Deft7, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    My B and D were almost non-existent also. I have been on B-12, first the shots, and they do make your arm sore, now I am on weekly sprays. It is expensive. One (1.3ml) bottle runs about $1000. This is pure B-12. I also take 100,000 u of Vit D weekly. Been doing this for about 4-5 years and my levels are just getting to slightly above normal.

So I know what you felt. I am surprised they did not give you daily shots then weekly, then monthly of the extract.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ke6gwf

Ke6gwf Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Napa Valley /Yreka CA
    Actually, with low B12 levels, you Are dying...
    The nerves begin degenerating without B12, and a lot of it is irreversible, probably why they wanted to get you in asap.
    My dad ended up with low B12 after years as a vegan with no supplements, and he was barely able to walk not long after the various symptoms first showed up, and was very limited in strength and speech and other things for quite a while, even after B12 replacement began, and never fully recovered either.

4. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    It actually was quite bad. I was standing in the parking lot at work with the boss, and he, for some reason, began pulling some weeds out of the dirt. I figured I may as well help, so I grabbed one, I couldn't pull it out. That's when I knew something was wrong.

I had many symptoms, I just didn't put it all together in my mind. Slurred speech at times, no physical strength, poor balance.

I can tell when my levels are off nowadays. If I have a persistent headache, I stop taking the b12 for a few days. If I'm unusually tired, or have problems focusing on something I'm reading, then I will double the intake for a day or two.

What really bothers me is the fact that nobody can seem to explain why I have this issue. At least they tell me what to do to cover the problem up

Ke6gwf Thanks this.
  5. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    A lot of good advice but the OP bailed lol

6. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    I believe the troll bait has been taken...

7. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Perhaps. But maybe there's a driver out there with a legitimate sleep disorder that reads this and gets help. A good discussion.

Ke6gwf Thanks this.
  8. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    Whenever I start to fall asleep while driving, I pull out my Gerber and pluck a single nose hair... I'M AWAKE!!!!!!!!

rbrtwbstr Thanks this.
  9. dukeofearl

dukeofearl Light Load Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Orygun
    Deft7, Regarding sleepiness.... There are actually 2 real solutions for the kind of sleepiness you speak of. First, and fastest, is order online Adrafinil. The bottle says take one, but everyone I know takes 4 for best results. Effects last about 6 hours. It's legal. No side effects. It does not jazz you up like caffeine or energy drinks. It just simply alleviates sleepiness for about 6 hours, and you'll be a bit more attentive. Then come bedtime you will have no problem falling asleep. But if you take it long term Adrafinil will beat up on your liver. So since you have an ongoing situation, you should get a Rx from a doctor for Modafinil, which is the same thing except they altered the molecule slightly so it digests without beating up your liver. So best to get the Adrifinil for fast help while you search for a progressive doctor that will script you for Modafinil.

10. Vaydaboy

Vaydaboy Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2020
    Get a prescription for adderall. I’ve been on it for years. There are some days when I don’t take it and I tend to notice that after a couple of hours of driving I’ll stop and take little break but whenever I do take it I can go about 4-5 hours without stopping accept for emptying the bladder

11. Snow Hater

Snow Hater Medium Load Member

Dec 26, 2019
    5 Hour Energy contains B vitamins like your injections and a cup of coffee worth of caffeine. Worst it's done to me is the runs when I tried to double up.

Sugar can do bad things to you like leach the B vitamins from your body, cause narcolepsy, and crash your energy levels. Sugar causes an adrenaline rush but at the same time causes an overload of insulin. Adrenaline burns off fast but insulin burns slow and can put you to sleep. A lifetime of it can really mess up some people.

Another overlooked cause of inadvertent sleep is your vision. Mine is 20/20 without glasses. However, I have enough astigmatism to cause eye strain if I don't wear corrective lenses. My eyes slam shut from the eye strain while driving and there is no warning. Other activities are not a problem, like golf.

Hope this helps somebody.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.