DOT Card Expiring - Can't Get Physical

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by insipidtoast, Jan 23, 2022.

1. insipidtoast

insipidtoast Medium Load Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    I just received notice from the state of TN that my DOT physical is expiring in a couple months. It says if I don't provide a new one that my CDL will be "cancelled".

I'm living abroad and will not be getting another DOT physical until I return to the USA, which will not be for at least a couple more years. My license expires in 2026.

What do I do if I want to get a trucking job upon returning to the USA in a couple years? Will I have to go through CDL school again and take the DMV road test?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    seamutt and tscottme Thank this.
  4. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Contact the Tennessee DMV/ MVD or whatever the licensing agency is called. Explain your situation and find a solution. A DOT Medical Card is only good for a maximum of 2 years. The expiration date on your Drivers License does not affect your Physical renewal. Some States will just downgrade your license.

5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    @Numb has the correct answer. Just IMMEDIATELY submit the self-certification for to TN and check the 2nd option. Also, keep checking with TN via phone or email until you get confirmation they have your new self-certification. I got a verbal OK from TN and then while I was OTR got a letter from TN saying I had a few days to get a new medical or my CDL would be downgraded. Keep written proof from TN to confirm your new status.

Trucker61016 and Numb Thank this.
  6. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    My state does this
    But they downgrade the license to a regular dL
    Then when you submit the physical it gets changed back . you don’t have to take the written or driving test or anything again

at least that’s the way it seemed to work for me

and I self certified for several years when I wasn’t driving
    Just sign the form and fax it to the dmv

insipidtoast Thanks this.
  7. insipidtoast

insipidtoast Medium Load Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    Really? I had always heard that if you just let the medical cert. expire, then the license is simply downgraded until whenever you do submit a proper DOT medical cert. The language from the TN letter sounds a little bit more frightening than that. However, it does sound ambiguous too. Here's an excerpt:
    License snip.PNG

Not sure if it's relevant to any of this, but I do have a hazmat endorsement.

8. VA CDL Holder

VA CDL Holder Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    "Claim an exemption" are the key words I'm seeing here.

9. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Nobody has done the $500 zoom physical yet?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted