DOT CLOWNS

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by D.Tibbitt, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    When I lived in MT about the only time we had trouble was if someone mouthed off at the Lima scale. Then we’d all have to avoid it for a while, had to go up through Salmon going to Missoula and Kalispell.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Lima scales always pull me back around too. Back in January this year was running a load from cedar city utah up to butte mt. Loaded on friday and specifically changed my schedule to hit that scale at about 2am on Sunday morning because i figure it would be closed. NOPE ! Frickin snowing like hell at 2am on sunday guy pulled me around back for a level 1, couldnt believe my luck. I should just stop thinking for myself lol

4. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    They probably have your plate flagged or something, which doesn’t make sense if you get clean inspections. I was just out there for a month pulling short loads of fertilizer out of Billings and I thought for sure I’d get it at Laurel at least once but they never called me in and I was crossing each direction a couple times a day.

5. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    Man, you got something written on your forehead? They got your number.

My first ever DOT inspection was at westbound I90 coming into Billings. I swore the guy was pissed that he couldn't find anything. I figured it was just my imagination at the time, but every other inspection I've had since has been out east, and those guys have all been cool.

6. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I was gonna say i thought i saw ur rig out here awhile back around whitehall/three forks area

7. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Definatly wasnt your imagination ! They do to catch an attitude when they cant find anything. They love to write chaffed airline violations, not carrying backup paper logs, no eld instruction manual etc. - the real petty stuff just to say they got u on something. Got to be 3 steps ahead of them out here .

8. Phantom Trucker

Phantom Trucker Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Calgary, AB
    Butte pulled me in for a level 2 tonight. Officer was pretty good.

I run the I-15 corridor from Utah up through Montana and usually don’t have any trouble with DOT in Montana. It’s Utah and Idaho who give me the most attention.

9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I was getting harassed all the time. I finally started asking each time, if there was some reason I always get pulled in or pulled over. I really started to wonder if I were on some kind of list. Lol. Kentucky pulled me in, and the Officer says, “ Man you sure do get inspected a lot”. I replied “ Yes Sir, and I never get a break”. He handed my permit book back without checking it, and said have a nice day!! Lol. Haven’t been hassled much since. First 10 yrs in Business, I had 62 inspections. Maybe 5 in last 6 yrs. if that. I agree about the quick spot checks, no paperwork. Makes me mad. What’s worse is passing a Level 1 and not getting a sticker. I used to welcome inspections, priding myself on being legal. It’s the nitpicking that I can’t afford. Time wise or money wise. One Truck Operation can get in trouble real fast. Makes you want to quit Trucking. Being treated like a Criminal, all the while being hyper safety aware. Trying to put a Guy like Me out of Business, while Megas are sending Drivers out that aren’t qualified.

10. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Armington... Every. Trip.

11. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Only speeding violation I ever got was at the Lima scale... for part of my trip in California! o_O

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.