Dot compliant crew cab berth f750

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by MblockerS, Dec 29, 2020.

1. MblockerS

MblockerS Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2020

There are no rules about where I have to store my clothing I just want to get minimum legal with 2 guys in the truck. Maybe I'll try to find a smaller bunk and just bite the bullet on cutting the cab.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    I would assume they both log off duty while taking their break, but I don't want to speak for either one. They will probably be along in a few hrs or so to let you know.. :thumbup:

How big is the rear window opening.? If it meets size requirements for entry/exit, this could be another way to go without having to cut into the cab.? Just pop out the back glass..

Cowtown Sleepers

24kHotshot Thanks this.
  4. MblockerS

MblockerS Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2020
    I had a roadmaster bunk a few years ago that I picked up used for 600 bucks. Surely wish I still had it now after seeing what they cost new. Ended up at the recycling center do to vandalism while in storage. I appreciate all the input from you and the others here.

How is it going with that single axle class 8? Could you find 5 to 6k loaded miles a week if you intended to team?

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Does the sleeper actually have to be accessible from the cab? Or can it just be a stand alone unit that you access from outside the truck?

6. MblockerS

MblockerS Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2020
    For teams it has to be accessible. Older trucks got away with a communication system to the driver from the bunk. Don't think that kind of thing is allowed anymore.

AModelCat and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  7. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    No longer front to back. I moved the bed to the back seat. More comfortable for me.
    Yea, log off duty.

8. MblockerS

MblockerS Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2020
    As singlescrewshaker suggested I may be able to pop the back glass. Even if I don't use it for entrance I may be able to use it to meet the cab access requirement and generally use the side door of the bunk for access. I can't imagine my 220lb self wanting to crawl through a window very frequently.

9. MblockerS

MblockerS Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2020
    Thanks for joining the discussion. I'm on the taller end of things so even if across the back seat was berth legal, as is the case with wood house, I don't think it would be comfortable for me or my prospective co-driver.

10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    The problem is, the co driver has to be somewhere legal. If it's not a legal sleeper the co driver can not be off duty while the truck is moving. If it's a legal sleeper he can stay there is whole 10 hour, but laying down while awake gets uncomfortable quick.

But even that can legally be gotten around. I think the biggest problem with putting a bed the lengthwise from front to back the the restraint system. You can't just get a webbing system like in a semi and bolt it down. It has to meet specs and the big one is it must be able to withstand 6,000 lbs of force applied toward the front of the vehicle. All the webbing I've seem distributes the force at the side of the body, not the feet and crotch.

brian991219 and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  11. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    I'm 5'11". When I need to stretch out I just lay diagonal and fit perfectly.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.