DOT exam, new BMI requirements?

Discussion in 'Prime' started by Skootlez, May 22, 2015.

1. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Id be willing to bet that you got some form of sleep apena at that weight.

technoroom and joesmoothdog Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. joesmoothdog

joesmoothdog Heavy Load Member

Aug 5, 2013
    OTR
    Kinda agree. Snoring is a symptom. I completely disagree with shortcutting med exam. These other guys might not care about your and my safety but I do. Get checked out properly and if you have issues get em fixed so they don't get me or mine killed cuz you fell out while driving.

Wild Murphy and rachi Thank this.
  4. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    if i got a cpap machine i would get too much sleep and not be able to drive 18-20 hours a day

LGarrison, joesmoothdog and Vilhiem Thank this.
  5. TAfool

TAfool Medium Load Member

Dec 8, 2012
    Make sure the doc has a national registry number. Rules are changing and doc must be registered.

TA
    PS. BMI and neck size is noted on my long form

6. EHB

EHB Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Newfoundland
    BMI no greater the 35% ... LOL...

And they think they have a driver shortage now, wait if that make that mandatory.

I would say a good percentage of drivers would by over BMI...
    Some drivers are really buffed out with either stomach or muscles... or both.

I know of a few people who are way under 200 pounds and they have been trapped and pinned by a pallet in the truck and could not move until helped arrived.

One guy passed out and 911 was called just in time. He was off for 2 weeks and after he gained a few extra pound of fat and muscle he was able to slap around a jack NP at all.

Most do not believe it but a few extra pounds can be a really big advantage when moving heavy pallets around.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  7. jayb123x

jayb123x Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Coldspring, TX
    Not sure about industry wide but having just completed orientation/dot physical at Prime last week you would be required to do the sleep study here. Their threshold with BMI is <39 to avoid it. I'm 6'4" and weighed 314 my BMI was 38.7.

Your listed ht/wt puts your BMI at 43.7

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm

8. Skootlez

Skootlez Light Load Member

May 19, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    I just checked out the symptoms on this website from the mayo clinic, and I seem to only have the loud snoring symptom. Either way, I'm going to happily get tested. If I do end up being diagnosed, will that prevent me from getting my CDL? o_O

9. Highway101

Highway101 Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Fallon, Nevada
    Nope, but you will have to use a CPAP machine.

10. Skootlez

Skootlez Light Load Member

May 19, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    [​IMG]

At least if I do get it, I'll look like bane! Lol

11. lfod14

lfod14 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Even at 6'3", 350lbs is a lot of weight to lug around. That's not good at all for your body, going into driving will make that even worse. As a former fat(er) guy myself (5'10" 300lbs) Loose the weight before something bad happens! The loud snoring is a bad sign. Do NOT tell them about that if they ask. I USED to think I slept good at night. I USED to think I was tired at the end of the day because I worked the crap out of myself. WRONG! Now I wake up at 4am ready to jump through the ceiling and when I go to sleep at night I'm still wide awake. Many DOT Dr's are abusing the sleep apnea thing, but It is a real problem and very few overweight people aren't affected by it. It causes major wear on you over time. Walking 1mi a day doesn't do anything unfortunately. Switch to a low carb diet, you'll feel better and the weight will fly off.

They are REALLY cracking down with the physicals. I just got a new card because I got a new job and even though my current one was good for a year they wanted me to recertify. Prior to sending my pee to the drug test they checked my sugars and blood protein levels, never saw that before. In the end, all the scams aside it's about OUR health, we should take this crap serious.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.