DOT/MC on trailer? Trailer reg question.

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by DMPCarrier, Feb 17, 2022.

1. DMPCarrier

DMPCarrier Bobtail Member

Feb 17, 2022
    As stated, is it required to have the DOT and or MC on a gooseneck. I'm a hotshot setup, Ram3500 with DOT and MC display on the power unit. I've seen some hotshots around with this info on the neck of their trailers and wondering if I'm missing something.

Trailer registration. I just got my tag today and the clerk told me that permanent tags are for 53 footers. I have a feeling she wasn't certain. She said my trailer weighing in at 4500 (not GVWR, which is 15k) didn't need it. Did I pay for the wrong thing? I do have an apportioned tag on my truck.

Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    I’m not hotshot but was once upon a time
    Never had anything but a trailer number on the front driver corner and rear of trailer

Same with my truck now

Bean Jr. and DMPCarrier Thank this.
  4. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    We ran a lot of goosenecks in the oilfield to haul perforating guns and logging tools. The only thing required was company name, and of course reflective tape and that stuff, but no DOT/MC numbers.

Bean Jr., Siinman and DMPCarrier Thank this.
  5. DMPCarrier

Feb 17, 2022
    Everything indicates the DOT number is to be displayed on power unit. I'm assuming because tractors just hook up different trailers all the time. Anyone can confirm that if I have my own trailer (2 car hauler) used for commercial purposes (interstate) the DOT isn't needed on the trailer? Getting started is hard ya'll, lol.

Thanks for your input.

6. God prefers Diesels

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    I don't see why it would be any more stringent than a big truck, and I sure as heck don't have those numbers on my trailer. Nor have I ever seen them on anyone else's trailer.

Bean Jr., GYPSY65 and DMPCarrier Thank this.
  7. DMPCarrier

Feb 17, 2022
    Makes sense, lol. Appreciate your quick responses. Trying to get on the road quick and avoid getting pulled over for dumb things.

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  8. God prefers Diesels

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

Oh wait, you're serious?

But seriously, the cop will "find" something whenever he wants to. If he can't, he'll just make it up. Probably be in your best interest to leave your fire extinguisher unsecured so he bites that bait first and leaves the rest alone.

TriCal, 24kHotshot and DMPCarrier Thank this.
  9. DMPCarrier

Feb 17, 2022
    lol I have mine in a bag with the rest of my DOT junk lol, is that secured or does it really have to be bolted down. Man!!

10. God prefers Diesels

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    It really does need to be secured.

D.Tibbitt, DMPCarrier and GYPSY65 Thank this.
  11. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    Yes!!
    And make yourself a hard cover folder with all your papers in plastic covers and in order

I walk in. Hand them my binder and many are impressed it’s not a folded up coffee stained mess

DMPCarrier Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.