DOT Medical

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Saintman E, Jul 2, 2022.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I would talk to the clinic where you got the exam if you NEEDED a replacement. Your paperwork if just a file on their computer. There is no requirment to carry your "card" anymore.

Sixela918 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    Completely editing my comment.

I'd check with the issuing state to be sure if you need to carry it. Unlikely.

In my state the DOT Medical information is electronically attached to my CDL. They explicitly told me I don't need to carry it. I've had inspections done in OH, IL, KS, and MT, and never once had been asked for it.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  4. DixonM

DixonM Light Load Member

May 22, 2022
    The guy I get my DOT Physical done with use to give me laminated card but last time I went in he said he could no longer get the cards and instead gave me a paper also, I carry it in my wallet behind my licence and have a copy of it in my office.

5. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Just to be clear about something, I want to repeat a comment I made. The FMCSA has made rules that medical information is attached to a CDL. This process is done through the CDLIS system. If you have a CDL you should not need a card today! HOWEVER, this is for CDL holders ONLY! IF you are operating a CMV that DOES NOT require a CDL and you only have a regular driver's license YOU MUST have that card or the full medical long-form on you! There are some medical examiners that don't understand this and the driver has to ask them later for the form.

6. hashcreed

hashcreed Bobtail Member

Jun 20, 2022
    Jackson, KY
    Thankfully KY has a portal to upload all that information. Self cert, CDL app, Med Card, and waivers are all accessible through that portal.

7. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    So does MN, but I am not that good with going from paper to phone to computer to uploading all that stuff.
    Adding in my signature was a challenge.

25 years ago I was the guy.
    The computer tech guru.
    Fixing all the problems, building $30k video editing workstations...
    Not so much these days.

hashcreed Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.