DOT Physical and your CDL

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Big John, Nov 6, 2010.

1. rookietrucker

rookietrucker Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jul 15, 2007
    TEXAS

I was pondering the same questions. Texas for instance, Licenses are good for five years. I'm curious as you. How are they addressing this ? Are the states going to send reminders ? or Are they going to send a 60 day notice that your screwed ?

If you think it's bad up there standing in line. Come on down to Texas and stand in line. I have seen the line out the door many many times. Monday and Fridays are theee worst days. :biggrin_25513:

Winchester Magnum Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I hope they get some idea on this.

I would hate to be going there every year for a one year medical card if it is what you had.

I can foresee them wanting to change the license to match the certificate and there goes additional costs.

4. rookietrucker

Jul 15, 2007
    TEXAS
    Here is something else that just hit me. The medical certificate is only good for 2 years. Does this not contradict their own regulation by saying 3yrs ? Did I read that wrong ? Why should I have to render my original copy ? Because we all know the states DMV are going to request the original.
    Also, your going to have to be close to home, since they are requiring it to be presented to the DMV within 10 days.

Your probably right roadmedic, Another reason for them to charge a fee. :biggrin_25513:

5. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    They are being required to retain the certificate on file for 3 years beyond the date the certificate was issued. This is just a filing requirement that has nothing to do with the life of the certificate.

As far as the 10 day rule, I read this as they have to file it in the driver record file within 10 business days of them receiving the information from the driver.

But this leads me to believe it comes from the FMCSA:

Within 10 calendar days of receiving information from FMCSA regarding issuance or renewal of a medical variance for a driver, the State must
    • update the CDLIS driver record to include the medical variance information provided by FMCSA.

The following leads me to more questions as to the steps.

Within 10 calendar days of the driver's medical certification status expiring or a medical variance expiring or being recinded, the State must:
    • Update the medical certification status of that driver as "not-certified."
    • Notify the CDL holder of his or her CDL "not-certified" medical certification status and that the CDL privilage will be removed from the driver license unless the driver submits a current medical certificate and/or medical variance, or changes his or her self-certification to driving only in excepted or intrastate commerce (if permitted by the State).
    • Initiate established State procedures for downgrading the license. The CDL downgrade must be completed and recorded within 60 days of the driver's medical certification status becoming "not-certified" to operate a CMV.

If the driver is on the road, this can be missed. The driver will have to be on their toes on the forms and expirations now.

I really wonder how much of this is able to be implemented.

rookietrucker and Big John Thank this.
  6. rookietrucker

Jul 15, 2007
    TEXAS
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Not only the drivers but the companies as well. I'm sure CSA2010 will ping ya for points if your caught.

7. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    I inserted what I forgot to put in it.

8. dieselbear

dieselbear Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2008
    When I first heard of this a few years ago, I was informed that they wanted a database that the medical certificates were in, much like license's. The reason, we see so many false medical cards, altered dates, portion of the medical where the dates are torn and missing. They would have a control number and only certain doctor's would be authorized to perform the medicals. Believe it or not, there are some Doc's that don't do the stuff they are required. There are some that don't, won't or can't fill out the card correctly. And then there are some drivers, that just write their own medical cards out.

9. rookietrucker

Jul 15, 2007
    TEXAS
    I fully agree with you DB. I rode with my cousin who is a O/O and suggested the same thing(fill out my own card). BS I told him, the $65 for my medical card is well worth more then the fine I would have paid. Plus now with CSA2010, it would have given me points. He got popped here not long ago for several things and I kept telling him.

The only problem I have with this program is, How much is it going to cost me now ?

10. dieselbear

dieselbear Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2008
    I have no clue. Where is the California licensed driver's. Don't you all have to provide the DMV a copy of your medical each time you get one?

11. celticwolf

celticwolf Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Kittrell, NC
    HIPPA would require there be rules and safeguards in place preventing EVERYONE from seeing the data. Not even FMCSA can override HHS. I am not real sure DHS or DOD has authority over HHS regs..

Just remember you did sign a waiver, or should have, for your current employer to be allowed to see your medical records.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.