DOT Physical Blood Pressure

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by rowekmr, Nov 3, 2020.

1. Jimi Page

Jimi Page Bobtail Member

May 18, 2021
    I did a lot of blood pressure testing at home, to see how to get it down.
    As I’m borderline normal pressure.
    Don’t drink coffee for hours prior.
    It raises blood pressure immediately 10 points I’ve found from testing at home with a very good Rite Aid blood pressure monitor.
    I tested exactly the same at clinic.
    Sit in a low enough chair so your feet are firmly on the ground and thighs don’t feel pressure, will lower pressure.
    Don’t drink alcohol the night before, as it will raise blood pressure the next day.
    The beet juice sounds like a good idea too.

okiedokie and rowekmr Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I’ll admit it’s hard to do after driving all day. I’ve always been fit, into weights, etc all my life. I even boxed when I was younger and I know how to train. When you first pull in for the day you get that almost drugged feeling like you just want to lay down eat something and go to sleep. But if you can force yourself to do some exercise it’s a tremendous benefit. I will sleep better, feel better be more relaxed and drive better than next day. Another thing I do is make sure I always hand my own food on hand. When I start running low I will make #### sure I get into a Walmart and load up my fridge with fresh organic fruits and veggies and meats. I will not eat truckstop food unless I absolutely have to. Lol
    I gained some weight the first year out, did what everyone was, eating, sleeping, driving, snacks all day. But I can only let myself go so far before it starts freaking me out. Lol anyhow, I still eat snacks while I drive I just get like some raw broccoli, carrots tomatoes and get a light ranch dipping sauce and just munch that while driving rather than chips etc. You can eat vegetables all day long and he won’t gain any weight. I’m gonna start bringing my folding bench and adjustable dumbbells with me as well.

4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I had a bout of angina and took Nitro about 5 minutes before I took this photo. While I don't advocate "quick" fixes. I will say this! Place a nitro under your tongue about 3 minutes before your BP is taken and you might be surprised!

[​IMG]

Ralph4159 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. Ralph4159

Ralph4159 Heavy Load Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    I have been using that SuperBeets powder and it seems to work. My last 2 DOT physicals I spent 2-3 weeks going on an extreme diet, no salt, mostly oatmeal, etc. Was keeping track with my own BP cuff and *BOTH* times none of my restrictions turned out to be necessary: because the DOT 'physician' (actually was a chiropractor) didn't even check. Despite the stricter requirements for CDL 'doctors' over the last few years, there are still these fly by night scam places. Both times I found ads for DOT physical about $30 (which is pretty low). The waiting rooms were crowded and I found out the whole thing was a cash assembly line. I didn't plan it that way, but it happened last year and 4 years before that. The 'doctor' barely touched me, asked if I had any health problems, and then signed the form.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. rowekmr

rowekmr Light Load Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Great point!!! I eventually saw the light and made changes in my lifestyle. I started a routine that includes bike riding, jogging and calestetics 1-3 times a week. It was very hard at first mentally (I’m lazy) and my body complained with many aches and pains. I also made some changes in my diet (cut carbs) and lost 20 pounds. In my case medication alone did not put my BP in a healthy range so I had to make more changes to feel more comfortable with my health. The scare was having issues getting my DOT which was mandatory for employment. Now it’s easier and no more aches and pains and I feel better mentally. Next weekend I’m planning on going on a 30 mile bike ride (Chicago Bike the Drive) which will be the longest ride yet but I’ll see how far I can go.

7. Ralph4159

Ralph4159 Heavy Load Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Wow, your dedication is pretty amazing. The BP requirements can really threaten employment sometimes. People don't understand when I'm dieting or trying to lose weight and I tell them it's for trucking. They respond "WTF?"

8. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    They don't call High Blood Pressure the Silent Killer for nothing. It will kill you. Make no mistake. Get it under control. Meds are a great start. But.....if you are 5'8"" and weigh 350 lbs, you have much bigger problems.

9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Could be a early red flag for arteriosclerosis, narrowing and hardening if the Arteries. Eventually causing a blockage. Worth getting checked, and on medication if necessary. I started taking meds, and still had a 100% blockage in 1 of 4 major arteries. They put a stent in. Now I’m taking a Statin drug, heart pill, BP pill, baby aspirin. Had Me on Blood thinners till recently. I’m Lucky, my heart strength recovered, after about 8 mos. it was weak. Sometimes there permanent damage, leading to heart failure. That’s what got my Dad at 58 yrs old. Best to catch it, before having a heart attack. Less chances of permanent heart damage. The stent process is painless, nothing to fear. No nerves in arteries or veins.

Ralph4159 Thanks this.
  10. FFL Trucker

FFL Trucker Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Most companies will require you to see their dot guy not whoever you happen to pick

Ralph4159 Thanks this.
  11. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I won't say most, but most certainly if you want the company to pay for it you will have to go to their docs. When I was active my personal physician did the majority of mine. Honestly most of the time he just filled it out after he did the exam. Today a lot of carriers have added things in the physicals. It's been my experience and that of many of the current drivers I have spoken to, that if you are willing to pay for it, a lot of carriers will accept one you get on your own.

Ralph4159 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.