DOT physical question

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Commuter69, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Commuter69

Commuter69 Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2014
    The common cold is virus based, and has an antibiotic as a cure......

Diabetes is an ongoing disease, has genetic links, and therefore it cannot be "cured", it can only be managed with diet, exercise, and medication.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    There’s no cure for the common cold. Antibiotics work on bacterial infections, not Virus’s.

Dockbumper Thanks this.
  4. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    No

5. Commuter69

Jul 2, 2014

What's your evidence that diabetes has an actual cure?

My mom was diagnosed 30 years ago, and while it is under control, she still needs medications to manage it....

My dad was diagnosed closer to 15 years ago and has already lost a leg below the knee and 2 toes on the other to diabetic neuropathy that resulted in open wounds that wouldn't heal, left bone exposed and got infected. He is under control with medication, but not before the damage wasn't reversible.

My dad's oldest brother died 30 years ago of something exaggerated by his diabetes.

My point was that since diabetes is a permanent problem, the best result is that it gets managed; it has no cure.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Let me elaborate. The common cold is not cured by antibiotics. Should have been more specific.

7. Commuter69

Jul 2, 2014

Ok... I might have a cold every other year or less often... I take cold medicine and I am cured within hours (usually by the time I wake up in the morning )

8. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    As long as everything i sunder control, your medical is your business. I would not admit to anything that the DOT examiner can not see. If your blood pressure checks in range, then I personally would not list it or the diabetes.

Do what you want but once it goes on to that form it will follow you. Ultimately its your choice.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. Commuter69

Jul 2, 2014
    Update.....

I had a follow up with my primary doctor the other day and he is pleased with my BP and diabetic progress to date(at about the same pace as he expected)......

I went to occupational medicine later the same day and they wouldn't certify me until I got tested for sleep apnea. Knowing that this is not yet required by DOT, I went to another clinic this morning and was able to get a 1 year certification (which I expected based on the meds I am on)..... this is not saying that I am not going to do what I am asked for by my provider plan, just couldn't wait until I am told that it could be scheduled.....

Rideandrepair, PE_T and Chinatown Thank this.
  10. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    If you would have submitted to the sleep study it would follow you, personally I would not have told them about any of it. as long as you past the DOT examine, But thats just me,

11. Commuter69

Jul 2, 2014
    I never mentioned it to anyone, or wrote it down anywhere (except for my family and here).... the occupational medicine doctor did.... I went to another clinic (outside my provider network) with new documents.....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.