DOT physical question

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Commuter69, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Yes, Diabetes is a disease. An autoimmune Disease to be exact. Type 1 and Type 2 are different. Type 1 or Juvenile Diabetes, some are born with it, some get it in childhood, at any time before they’re fully grown.For unknown reasons, a persons immune system attacks the pancreas, as it would an invading virus. With Type 1 the pancreas completely shuts down. Insulin must be taken to replace Insulin normally made by the pancreas, to survive. Type 2, the pancreas doesn’t make enough Insulin. Sometimes a person can lose weight, eat right, exercise, and get blood sugar under control. Not always though, some people are in great shape, yet their pancreas doesn’t make enough insulin, and need to take insulin. By the same token, a person with Type 2 can use insulin to cover the amount of carbs taken in, just like someone with Type 1 has to do to control blood sugar. Not only is Diabetes a Disease, but 2 different Diseases. Very different, different causes. Same end results. While Type 2 is sometimes reversible, not always. So far there is no cure, short of a few pancreas transplants, a very difficult surgery due to the location of the pancreas. The few successful transplants, followed by daily anti rejection drugs show promise. Also inslet cell transplantation is on the horizon. My Daughter was diagnosed at 14 with Type 1. The ignorance surrounding this Disease is frustrating. I too was ignorant, before we were affected by it. I had no idea how serious it is. She was in perfect health. Not overweight at all. She kept losing weight, and was getting very tired. Had an increased appetite. Always thirsty, and increased urinating, due to increased fluid intake. No matter how much she ate, she couldn’t get any energy from food. Because the carbs aren’t converted without insulin. They Simply stay in the form of sugar in the bloodstream. The result is malnutrition, and then all the unspeakable complications. So much is unknown, anyone who really is interested can read up on it, both types. Get the facts, before making judgements, Theres already plenty of ignorance about this Disease. Both types are on the rise for unknown reasons. Some of the rise in Type 2 can be attributed to lifestyle, but not all of it. Sometimes people just get it, as Adults, at any age, even if they’re in perfect health otherwise.

SilverBulletBand Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Thank You.

4. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    A lot of athletes in perfect health get type 2. Thank You. Good research. We need more facts, for those affected. Those that aren’t affected can spew nonsense. I hope they never have to find the real facts. Despite their ignorance.

5. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Good Luck, glad to hear.

6. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Not always, it’s true usually if a person’s overweight, it’s the cause. But not always. I saw my Mother, get type 2, she had gained a lot of weight, after having back surgeries, and a host of other problems. When She lost the weight, everything improved. Cholesterols, BP, and Blood Sugars. Then 4 yrs later, same weight and diet. The type 2 came back for no reason. It’s unpredictable. Not all cases are the same. People with type 1, untreated with insulin, will become very thin. because the carbs aren’t converted or stored. They also will have very high blood sugar, and eventually go into a coma, and very possibly die.

7. SilverBulletBand

SilverBulletBand Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    Precisely. I hope your daughter is ok. She's in my Prayer's.

This is someone who did his homework and didn't talk out of his ### on something they know little about.

Again, Science does not give one #### about what I think or believe and it does not care what any other human being thinks or believes. Science is what it is.

In some cases of diabetes, Medications can damage one's pancreas. This is what most likely happened in my case. I was on a very high dosage of Lipitor. That's most likely why my diabetes was NOT reversible given my health regiment, exercise routine and strict diet. My Type 2 (oral meds only) converted to needing Insulin to help control my BS. ie.... Progressive disease.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  8. SilverBulletBand

SilverBulletBand Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    That all being said. I need to find out how other CDL holders are handling the FMCSA Form -5870. How are your Providers and/or Clinics handling it ?

I go to to the VA for my health care and it's been a cluster #### trying to get my doctor to cooperate and fill out the #### form. I need an alternative. My License expires 11/4/20.

Please advise.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  9. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Don't know anything about the form, but as far as your CDL goes, the FMCSA has extended all CDL that expired after March 1, 2020 to Dec 31, 2020. From the FMCSA:

"Extends until December 31, 2020, the maximum period of CDL validity by waiving 49 CFR 383.73(b)(9) and 383.73(d)(6) for CDLs due for renewal on or after March 1, 2020."

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcsa.dot.gov/files/2020-09/FMCSA CDL Waiver - FINAL - Sep 18.pdf

10. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    When my Daughter was diagnosed, they told her She wouldn’t be able to become a Pilot, or an OTR Truckdriver, but Otherwise could do anything else. She sent Me the info, when the Pilot program passed. I told her I’d buy another Truck, when She’s ready!! Lol. Good Luck with the form, I just read up on it. Seems to Me. you’re Doctor is obligated. The ADA should be a guarantee of your rights. Easy for Me to say. Once you get the form, along with the recorded stable levels. Looks like they have to give you a 1 yr unrestricted card. I don’t know how the VA works, But often an Intern for a Doctor, is more willing and eager to help. I would stress, It’s just a form verifying treatment. Needed for your Livelihood. I’m sure you’ve already thought all this through. The problem I see, is that the form has to be from the Doctor that’s been treating you. No time to find a new Doctor. The VA needs to understand this. Patient Advocate? I don’t know. But it seems you have a Right to get the form filled out. After all it’s a Law. Best wishes.

SilverBulletBand Thanks this.
  11. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    You’re arguing with a straw man. Again, sure there can be outliner examples. But the fact is, there’s a reason why so many in the trucking industry battle with this. Fifty times higher than any other industry. You can’t go through years, decades of life sitting and being non active, eating five to ten times the normal carb intake daily, be 50-200 pounds overweight and not expect serious health problems.

Take 1000 truckers in the condition described above and almost all will eventually develop type 2 diabetes.
    you mention athletes getting it as your argument? Take 1000 fit athletes and I’d get maybe TWO out of that 1000 will get it. It’s not a valid argument.

If you don’t get active and you don’t change diet and weight habits, YOURE GOING TO DEAL WITH IT EVENTUALLY.

We all will...

nredfor88 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.