Dot physical vision requirements.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Dieseltu, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Dieseltu

Dieseltu Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Ohio
    Good morning ,evening , whatever.
    Its been quite a while since I posted and I need some advice. I never had a DOT physical before. I got a new job offer Monday driving a box truck delivering medical equipment around Ohio , Pa, Maybe Cincinnatti . I have to get a company paid DOT physical. I have a CDL B with no vision restriction that renews next year. . However I wear glasses all the time and they are old. And they are not 20/40 I don't have cash now to get new glasses. I shoulda done it a while ago but I didn't know I'd be driving again. So what will they check as far as vision. I know they wont be 20/30 but if I tip them up it might be. Will they let me slide , or kill this job for me. I can get the CDL B renewed next year without glasses don't ask why . but I don't know about this physical I never did a Dot physical before. Anyways I need this job.Its in the bag if I get through the physical. I need ANY suggestion on how to pass it. I got a little high blood pressure too but I got pills for that. Im 6 ft 218 lbs. 54 years olds. I'm Working in a NTB right now at minimum wage.I got taxes and mortgages past due , but the bank said they wont do anything for a couple past due payments. So I need this job its pays twice that and good medical. I can get out of the hole as its a ridiculous amount of overtime. Thank you truckers. For the record I have a clean CDL no points or criminal record . Im getting the info Sunday and got to do the physical Monday 7/9/18

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    20/40 or better is required

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    What do you mean you don't have money for glasses?

That's getting old as an excuse. (don't take that personal)

Get a cheap eye exam ANYWHERE, have them measure your PD at the same time, they will know what that means. Then take the script with you. Get online and go to www.zennioptical.com, fill out the script info with the PD and order yourself a pair of $15 glasses.

problem solved.

5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Look up Snellen eyechart. Chances are you will have to read one while standing on a marked line at the clinic. Sometimes it helps to know what you should be seeing.

6. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    my lenses run over $350

7. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    If u set up a go fund me page I think many people on this forum will donate. Come on guys let’s chip in! I personally can’t. But u guys should.

CJ701, homeskillet and Dumdriver Thank this.
  8. Dumdriver

Dumdriver Road Train Member

Jul 8, 2014
    East Coast
    When you walk in for the physical find the eye chart, it’ll be easy to spot- it’s the thing hanging with all the different sized letters.

Walk up to it, find the line that says 20/40, memorize it. There ya go. Eye test passed.

Disclaimer: there was indeed sarcasm in the post. NO, I DO NOT RECCOMEND DRIVING WHILE BLIND!!!

CJ701 Thanks this.
  9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    My frames alone are $650. Special ordered from only 1 store.
    As mentioned above. Lenses are $350 for progressives. Nothing else will work for my vision.
    I have no idea what the cost of an exam is these days.

My frames aren't the usual type. I need em light, thin, without the nose peices. I can't stand anything else.

While you all recommend these cheap places. Some of us have special needs.

88 Alpha and flood Thank this.
  10. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    If you can pass the eye exam for the license, you should be able to pass the eye exam for the physical.
    If you need glasses, then you need glasses.
    When you get that first check, go get an eye exam and some new glasses. A lot of low cost exam places to get them done.

11. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Get eye exam and then go to 39dollarglasses.com I ordered from them, fully loaded transitional bifocal for $129.No problem. Company now pays $400 annual for glasses.
    I measured my own PD with Vernier caliper.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.