Dot physical vision requirements.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Dieseltu, Jul 7, 2018.

1. SoCalRed

SoCalRed Medium Load Member

Feb 7, 2017
    CA
    So you are broke, but you wont get a cheap pair of glaces to pass medical because you can't stand them. We got it.
    Where should we send the donation?

Jazz1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Where did i say I was broke?

And where did I say I won't get to pass eye exam?

I just said some of us have special needs that cheap won't work.

I have a secret stash and access to credit and decent income so don't be including me in the poor category.

4. SoCalRed

SoCalRed Medium Load Member

Feb 7, 2017
    CA
    I thought you were the OP, who clearly is broke, but complains that cheap glasses are not comfortable.
    All he needs is a cheap pair of glasses to be able to read the letters off the chart, so he can get a better paying job and pay his bills.
    Sorry for accusing you of being poor, we are glad that you have a secret stash of cash and access to credit :)
    Peace brother

5. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    I think you are being sarcastic, but in the unlikelihood you are not, have you ever seen a Go Fund Me post stay on this forum for any length of time?

Let me answer the question for you....No, you haven't. Those posts are removed from this forum in a quick and timely manner.

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  6. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    You’ll pass. You have to have extremely bad vision to not pass. Like blind as a bat.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's 20/40.

Eyes change as we age. Small or big changes but they have to be both 20/40 corrected or not against the DOT eye chart or equivalent.

Since surgery in 2009 with a artificial lens I really don't need glasses to hold a vehicle where it needs to be but I wear em anyway because they literally correct for what I simply no longer have in vision.

My eye exams run 300 retail cost at the Surgeon every few years. The prescriptions I get come out as trifocal. When the lenses are completed on a particular 130 dollar frame ordered online, you are looking at about a thousand with all of the things Ive found useful including the future blue light filter on the next set that I am getting ready to order. Insurance for me makes it 15 dollars at the same surgeon, 100 dollars at a particular glass lense maker to prescription which itself is not a common one anyway (takes a week or more to custom build) and 130 for the frames. Done. I can do that out of my income this month if I needed to.

That's one of the reasons I downgraded from CDL to car license because one of the lenses on the left corrects to #### near 20/0 which is pretty much the copyright fine print on the bottom of the eye chart at 20 feet in the clinic with that eye. As long I have one I can get a car license renewed without having to spend a bunch of money renewing a CDL in a non insurance retail setting.

PD is the most important number for you specifically in a prescription for eyes. Remember what it is. Literally the distance between your pupils. Everything else on that script is useless without PD carefully measured.

YOU WILL find the money and get a new glasses and a new script if necessary to recorrect to 20/40 or better against a eye exam and then later in the DOT doctor clinic for your future trucking employer. If not also at the DMV when you present to get new CDL or renewal of same. Your existing Medical is pretty much worthless because every employer will send you to their company doctor who will test you against the chart.

It is NOT a bad thing to have to do these things with the eyes. If many other situations begin to develop, a good examiner will see them in your eyes first before symptoms appear enough for any licensed doctor will recognize the problem.

I hate to be difficult, but in my time technology did not really exist for the glasses I have now. You wont believe the lenses I wore to get 20/40 compared to now. There was a time I was legally blind in 2009 in one eye in which that entire eye chart was hash. It did not matter what was on it. Surgery fixed it. That time. The following day after without glasses it came out that the eye would do right about 20/30 without glasses.

You cannot complain about having no money. You have two choices. Put aside a few dollars every payroll until you have it then go. Get a big enough charge card and hit it. Or just go with what you go against your employers DOT Exam and see what you got at 20/40 or better. If you AINT got it you WILL be told to come back when you do.

If I can pick up a Colt for a thousand and then add to it, I can do the same thing for glasses once every 10 year or so. Which for me this year is the time to go back and reexamine them and get a new prescription and go from there. It's expensive. But I have insurance now so that's not going to be as bad. And my income aint much but that's not the problem. Time is. It will take a little time to get it done if it is a high enough cost that is worth having done right.

There are certain things I require in glasses inside the lenses and I have not deviated from those minimum needs for almost 35 years and am not about to start now because of a couple dollars. One of them is actually a form of plastic instead of glass capable of taking impact. From flying steel or ammunition cases etc. Saved me many a time out there on the road.

There is a prescription in my pocket. It's a number of years old. But once updated it rides in the pocket. If I needed a set of lenses and glasses ordered online all I need to do is enter that information and wait for it to get here. Cheaper than retail. Things have changed quite a bit for the better in my opinion in the glasses world both what is possible with them and what is not as expensive.

Ultimately, if you are blind above 20/40 and someone put you into a class B or class A commercial vehicle, something will come along sooner or later and you will kill or hurt someone really fast because you cannot see. better to spend a little bit or a grand now and get it done right than to sit and wish you did spend something after the bad day.

The rest of it I consider a grass is greener on the other side of the fence. I choose to say you have a bird in hand working with someone at whatever income now rather than trying to get two birds that will flyway from the bush. Use a part of that income and whatever number of weeks needed to accumulate fully what you need to get to 20/40 or better and then get it done. It will take time. But you will be very happy you did it.

My ex cannot drive at night until they replace both of her old cataracts that are growing. That is where I come in with 4 days notice to clear the medicines from my system. Eventually roughly 6 months from now her vision is going to be a total hash and she will not be able to read books, movies or prepare food etc. That would be where I come in. If I don't live that long then my own insurance for life will provide for that big time for her and she can have a thousand people help aid her until surgery replaces the cataracts with new eyes.

And the possibility if done right by the surgeon, she will dispose of the glasses.

Cost? about 16000 at the surgery center in little rock that does that type of surgery. At least that was what I was billed when I had one eye done. I was dual insured at the time so it was free. Im pretty certain they took FULL advantage of that little tidbit considering how many cannot afford the surgery.

A pair of glasses and lenses to make 20/40 or better. Not difficult. Anyone can do it. If you cannot? Even with the best there is? Well. That's a form of disability and you wont be running big trucks or flying any time soon if ever.

It's always the necessary things, the small items we depend on to do a good job in trucking that somehow rubs the most when you apparently want to do something right now and don't have the financial horses to make it happen just yet. Just set aside a portion of your current work until you get all that out of the way then present yourself to your future trucking employer.

I hate to be difficult. But I spent the last 8 years watching the big brown cataracts make sure my grand mother did nothing but sit in bed waiting for family to come visit when we had time. That's not living. That's a special form of existential crisis in those days all those years ago. She finally passed but not before I had a chance to say good bye to her. You did not have the things we have now in her day.

The moral is I am leaning on is that we should be thankful there is a whole world ready to help you get to seeing things compared to what it was back then.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    CJ701 and 88 Alpha Thank this.
  8. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    Glasses are very inexpensive these days. I got an eye exam at one of those places at the mall then took my prescription home, went to Zenni Optical and picked out a pair of frames I liked. They were like 10 bucks shipped. I think total for everything might have been under 30 dollars.

9. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Oh,ya cover one eye ,then the other....then slowly repeat these letters(try to make it look good) DEFPOTEC

10. James122

James122 Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2018
    United States
    You all need better insurance. My new frames by Carrera, polycarb lenses, anti-glare, and transitions were $150.

The frames came from the actual eye doctoe, not Zenni or any other discount type place.

11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    There's no eye doctor that sells the frames that i like. Used to be able to find them, but that involved spending a week visiting every office in the state to find one that has one. None of them are in business anymore.

There's only one place and they're expensive. And they love inflation. My first pair was $200. My second pair was $350. Now they want $650.

Polycarb and anti glare don't work for me. My eyes don't like anything but basic progressives.

Insurance is cheap and really not worth the cost of having considering what it covers and pays. My cost is basically the same either way.

I carry my own insurance. Haven't had company insurance in decades.

88 Alpha Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.