DOT Physical

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Cbr1000rr1979, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Cbr1000rr1979

Cbr1000rr1979 Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2017
    I hope someone can shed some light on this situation for me. I have had a class B CDL for 10 years and have had several physicals for my medical card with no issues. I recently got my class A CDL and was offered a job at a well known company in my area. They sent me for the physical and their doctor found out I have had back surgery and now wants all my medical records. I ordered and sent every record I could get pertaining to the surgery and doctor visits. The records are missing my release letters to return to work. I was fully released with no restrictions after surgery and no one can find the records. My question is why am I being asked for the records now and not the last 10 years when I have had physicals with my class B? Is their a difference between the DOT requirements or is it this company specifically pushing for this. I don't know what I'm gonna do if all the class A driving jobs require this and I can't get copies of the original releases. I asked if I could see the surgeon and have him check me out and sign a new release and they said they still want the originals. Has anyone else ran into this problem?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. clmm

clmm Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2017

4. clmm

clmm Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2017
    If your surgery was 10 years ago, and as long as there are no present complications which restrict your ability to drive, there should not be any reason why it's so difficult to get a new Medical Card. I'm a Certified Medical Examiner in Chicago area and do these physicals all the time, with drivers who have had past surgeries. It's probably not your company being strict, but the examiner. There's certain standards we have to follow when doing these physicals, and they (FMCSA) also leave some wiggle room for us to determine if there's additional issues that need to be addressed.

I would be more concerned if your surgery was within the last year or so, but if it's 10 years old, it should not be a reason why you cant get a medical card for 2 years (provided your healthy otherwise).

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.