DOT physical

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Gorilla Monson, Feb 26, 2018.

1. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    with a blood test they can tell just about everything on your kidneys and liver, pee I am not sure.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia

I am starting to show some ignorance in regard to the new forms used for physicals and have noted some changes in the rules in regard to physicals. However last I seen they will not take blood for a basic DOT Physical. They will collect urine and dip it to check to make sure nothing is spilling into your urine and in some cases then send off the urine to be drug tested. With this said I would NOT speak to any history not asked for on that physical form. Be honest with ALL your answers however. Also one more point before I finish this up. These DOT registered labs DO NOT USE Mass spectrometry they either dip a testing strip or use a specially designed cup both being designed to react if the drugs tested for show up in the urine. If you are taking a drug that will not show up it will never be seen. OP go to your physical be honest with ALL your answers and bring ALL paperwork you have in regard to this kidney matter. However if it is not asked for don't bring it up.The examiner will look at all of this and let you know. Most physicals I have had took about an hour in the door and out. You will check in and be given your physical form to fill out while you wait to be called back. A nurse or medical tech will have you fill a cup, test your blood pressure and eyes for vision and color vision. Then you will wait for the examiner. In some cases this examiner may not be a Physician. They will check you over and have you do some bends and whisper words to you to check hearing. If nothing else is found to concern the examiner this is over in less then 5 minutes. If you are in good general health it is NOTHING to be worried or concerned about.

pmdriver and Chinatown Thank this.
  4. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    If you have a kidney problem take care of that before it goes out of control, giving you renal failure which will kill you. There are many ways to take care of your problem, take care of it now, you may be able to get a regular 2 year card if you do, if you do not you will be living in agony.

5. al_huryn

al_huryn Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    I have never had them "send off the urine to be drug tested" in 23 years of driving. It's a DOT physical, not drug test.

12 ga Thanks this.
  6. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Happened to me 2 times. Once with my WSE orientation and another time back in the early 90s when I was working local. I don't know if this is a practice today now or not. However some carriers did both. It is true today that most carriers do these drug tests. Just know that some times in the past this was done. Also in my comment I did not say it was a standard practice. I said sometimes they do it.

7. Gorilla Monson

Gorilla Monson Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2018
    I am absolutely taking care of it. Ive been seeing a nephrologist since my diagnosis. Thats why i really dont think that ill have a problem with the physical. My blood pressure is under control and im not diabetic. As far as the disease goes, theres no cure so all i can do is manage it the best i can.

8. Gorilla Monson

Gorilla Monson Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2018
    I will be getting a drug test from my employer, but that doesn't worry me. I dont even drink. Very clean.

9. Woodchuck88

Woodchuck88 Medium Load Member

Jan 4, 2017
    New York
    The urine dip test they do just checks for glucose levels I think, don’t hold me to that. As for BP medicine you might be outta luck. Yes you can say your not on it, but don’t kill anybody out there or some Lawyer will end you.

10. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    My last DOT physical was at the Hampton Va VAMC. Several years ago now. I will never be able to drive ANY size vehicle again. (The Government don't want us epileptics driving). I have not hauled anything since Dec of 2012. I am beginning to be a bit ignorant now of these procedures. However at one time in the past a lot of carriers contracted with clinics to do the physicals and do the urine collection and chain of custody form on the first day of orientations. Today I think most if not all carriers do these drug collections in secure settings now. Yes you are correct these dip checks are a simple check to make sure there is no glucose spilling into the urine.

Woodchuck88 Thanks this.
  11. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    It checks for 4 things, sugar, specific gravity, blood(that you can't see) and proteins .

The Doc showed me the test last week, it has 4 pads that Change colors, then compare to chart on bottle.

Woodchuck88 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.