Dot points for eld

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by thatguyfrombk, Jun 2, 2022.

1. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    That officer is a ########. U just had bas luck and ran into that 1 guy. A driver only inspection is what's known as a level 3 just a paperwork and logbook check. That sucks u got put out of service. See if your company can "data Q " the violation

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    Why didn’t you call your elog supplier at the number they give you with instructions.. they can email logs to DOT or get a number that you can call once you power unit back up. I suspect he didn’t believe that elog was working period.

4. thatguyfrombk

thatguyfrombk Bobtail Member

Oct 17, 2020
    Honestly the officer didn’t wanna hear any excuse I gave. And lectured me about that I can kill someone out here and all that fun stuff about being over hours. As far as the paperwork work goes it says driver only on it and this happened in Long Island NY by a state troopers. I’ve been driving for a while now and this has never happened to me so this is all new.

5. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Level III is driver and credentials only.
    Level II includes the vehicle overall condition.
    Level I includes III & II along with measuring the brake adjustment.

You received an inspection report [paper] to turn into your carrier.

They need to acknowledge that the situation was corrected by signing off and sending it back to Albany.

The inspection will be shown on the carrier's SMS [Safety Management System] report after the first week, or so, of the next month.

The 'points' assigned to the violation gets and extra 2 point 'kicker' for being out of service for that violation.

For the next 6 months a 3 point 'multiplier' is added to the total; then it drops to 2 points and, finally, after a year it drops to one point.

The violation stays on the SMS for 24 months.

The violations you collect are all shown on your personal PSP [Pre-employment Screening Program] for 36 months and any accidents that actually get reported to the FCMSA stay there for 5 years.

OP needs to consider that the trooper has already heard and encountered 10,000 reasons why an ELD does not work, etc. and just wrote it up.

Remember, violations discovered go onto the report despite and corrections the driver applies.

That light bulb that was out [or ELD] is written even after the driver 'fixes' the violation and when it comes to HOS he just put you down for ten.

He could have written more violations like 'false log' and stuff AND added citations too, especially in NY.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
    Another Canadian driver and ZVar Thank this.
  6. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    Again I repeat you eld provider can email logs to dot . If you were legal you would’ve been fine . Either way they most likely will look at your logs during the next carrier audit now.

alds and Another Canadian driver Thank this.
  7. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Could have had the logs emailed to the bear and went on down the road using the paper logs you're required to carry specifically for this type of situation.

nikmirbre Thanks this.
  8. MGE Dawn

MGE Dawn Road Train Member

May 19, 2019
    Vancouver, WA
    Better yet, OP should DataQ it themselves. More expedient that way

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.