DOT Proposes Speed limiter

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by LBZ, Aug 26, 2016.

1. SLCTrucker

SLCTrucker Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Salt Lake City UT
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Guntoter

Guntoter Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    Your problems will be just beginning. Spending every penny you earn for the next 10 years on Lawyers to defend yourself in civil court. Losing you CDL or (best case) being un-hireable at any decent company. No insurance company will touch you.... Its a problem.

4. Lashhgv

Lashhgv Bobtail Member

May 6, 2013
    Liverpool, England
    In eu trucks are limited to 56mpg. In uk various companies impose their own limits. My large company 52-56. One large. Supermarket Tesco has some on 49.5mph

5. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Well, that happens now. Nothing going to change. There are risks with everything. If some cannot handle the potential risks, then move on. It is dangerous to cross the street, but the law of averages makes it so most people will go ahead and cross the street. There are legal risks, even now, with driving a commercial truck. Yet, 6 million commercial drivers get in those trucks each day and go to work. I do not have an enlarged paranoia gland over such things, so any scare comments regarding legal problems doesn't really weigh on my mind. If I lose a CDL, no problem, I am resilient and will move on to something else. I have never been unemployed for more than a very short period since 1970.

It must be a terrible existence living every day with fear that the worse can happen. Causes wonder as to why those people even get out of bed in the morning.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    peterd Thanks this.
  6. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    As a regional driver myself, I don't see a problem there. Most of the lumber coming into Winnipeg now is coming in by train, since the economy is in the gutter and paying for expedited lumber shipping out of BC/AB/SK isn't worth it right now for most big lumber places.

A single rail car load of lumber can fill 4-5 trucks. A single train (two locomotives) can pull over 100 cars at a time. In today's market of such tight margins, it's hard to justify not using trains.

7. lfod14

lfod14 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Which wouldn't even let me do the speed limit on most of the highways I use. I'm not going paranoid about it.

8. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    It's one thing for the market to make that determination on its own. It's something else for the government to determine which way it wants the market to go and enact laws & regulations to bring about the desired change.

thejackal Thanks this.
  9. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    Said it before and I'll say it again. That's why I don't understand O/O s pulling mega fleet trailers. Moving freight for the very people that are trying to put you out of business.

BoostedTeg, thejackal and Grumppy Thank this.
  10. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Now that really makes a lot of sense. The carriers are trying to put the O/O's out of business, yet they continue to advertise for O/O's. If they were truly trying to put O/O out of business, then why not just have a uniform policy throughout all the ATA and TCA member carriers to not use O/O at all? That would knock out a large number of O/O real quick.

Some of you guys thinking on this truly is better than going to the comedy club. The twisted sense of logic is truly humorous.

11. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    They use o/o because they've got it figured out it costs them less. You can do a bit better than a company driver if you operate your truck as efficiently as possible and also get lucky it lives for a long time without any very costly breakdowns. Look at how company drivers treat equipment compared to o/o. There's your cost right there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.