DOT regulation extended time off

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by subseaguru, Jun 24, 2017.

1. subseaguru

subseaguru Medium Load Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Waco, Tx
    Does anyone know what the CFR is for taking extended time off from driving? for example, i work for company XYZ and take 4 weeks off, the company turns it in to a leave of absence and must terminate me if i dont come back to work at day 31 unless i participate in a "DOT regulated activity" during the time off. what is a DOT regulated activity?
    I ask this because i have been told by the company i work for that this is a DOT regulation, however; i cant get an answer or clarification as to what the "activity" could be to reset the clock.

TIA
    Guru

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    Nonsense. Ask them to show you the relevant FMCSR section. There is no provision for any such thing, and DOT doesn't care how long you don't drive as long as you comply with all HOS and keep your license/medical current. You could take off for 6 months, then come back and drive for 6 months, in fact a lot of dump operators near me do exactly that.

Search Regulations - the complete list of FMCSR's - I couldn't find anything relevant in a quick scan through.

LoneCowboy, not4hire and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  4. subseaguru

subseaguru Medium Load Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Waco, Tx
    I couldnt find anything either but just wanted to ask incase someone knew something i didnt.
    thanks.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  5. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    I know MANY O/O's (on here and elsewhere) that take entire WINTERS off. Myself, I haul asphalt, and in Ohio, when it's cold, asphalt doesn't flow. I did, in fact, take a winter off a few years back; did NOTHING DOT related (? dunno even what that could be...watch a safety video?) and went right back into the same truck, when the season came back. Now, I pull flats or salt in the winter; can't afford to do THAT every year; but was never penalized (but for my wallet, LoL.)

not4hire Thanks this.
  6. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    I'm gonna follow this thread just to see if someone chimes in with 'nonsense' .... but I really think that's all it is.... nonsense.

not4hire and subseaguru Thank this.
  7. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    I just find it interesting that a company would take what I assume is an internal policy of theirs, and try to say "Oh, the DOT makes us do it". I would have a hard time taking that company seriously, myself. DOT regulated activity is typically anything where you're subject to HOS regulations, I believe. Could be something outside of that but if so I can't think what it would be off the top of my head.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  8. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Interesting, isn't it? Has me stymied as well. Been doing this 17 years and NEVER heard of such an asinine thing. Maybe they want the O/P to come in once a week and do oil changes, yard jockey, or something? No clue.

9. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Just tell them you log grocery runs in the minivan once a month to remain current.

Then punch them in the head.

Broke Down 69, sealevel and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  10. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    Perhaps, but oil changes or jockey work wouldn't be subject to HOS...well, jockey might if actually hitting a public road. It sounds like another policy from one of those places who assign you a tractor, then take it away if you're off more than a few days on home time.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  11. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    When you are subject to HOS regulations, ALL work, whether regulated (such as driving for a carrier) or not (sweeping floors for a non-carrier) is supposed to be tracked appropriately. So while the work itself might not be subject to HOS rules, you still are.

You probably already knew that, but I was just checking. ;)

You're most likely correct in your assumption that it's a company policy and the reason for its application.

JPenn and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.