DOT rest areas

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Kolorado, Feb 16, 2016.

1. proxystein

proxystein Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2016
    Honestly I've only seen them bothering complete pos trucks and flat bedders ,and even that was a rarity .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    My wife says that all the time. :)

Giuseppe Ventolucci and not4hire Thank this.
  4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    This is true. However be aware of the weekly hours. That line 4 eats up your 70. I'm not where I can post it. The FMCSA HOS rules states the 70 is on duty time not just driving time. As we all should know once you have went past the 70 you can't drive.

5. TAfool

TAfool Medium Load Member

Dec 8, 2012
    Nice try but no bueno.

What you did was take a few words out if context. What you quoted was simply saying if you are on duty you must have seven days if logs available. That's it, no more, no less.

TA

6. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    That;s not the argument

7. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Exactly... "if you are on duty." Nothing out of context.

8. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Then I'm not sure what the argument is. My post was reminding the fact that there is a parameter on your on duty time. Yes you can work past your 14 provided you don't drive. You can also work doing anything that needs to be done. However just remember the main clock is that 70 hour clock when the discussion is line 4. In fact any discussion of on duty time should revolve around line 4. While you don't log working other then driving on line 3 you most certainly do on line 4. I'm doing a horrible job of getting my point across. What I am trying to say is any discussion of (other) work should be centered around line 4 not line 3. If you were to log 3 20 hour work days that's 60 hours even with a 10 hour break you can only drive 9 3/4 hours before you run out of hours and have to do a reset.

9. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    This is why I never liked doing my 10 in a rest area. Its not just the cops it is the other drivers and general public. I remember once being parked in a rest area on I 80 in Pa the cops told me I had to move, no asking no concern for my break. Just move because we need this area. Thankfully I was able to get into a parking spot down from that one, but I had to do a dangerous back to get in.

10. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    If you read what I had quoted you would understand. Here it is again.

"That's if you stay on duty you can remain on duty 24 hrs. Once you change sleeper birth/off duty, that rule no longer applies."

I know what the freaking clock is and so do others, I was only pointing out that this statement is wrong. I don't care how long you have to drive. You could work 65 hours and still not be able to drive until you take 10 off. It does not matter how many hours you have left, what matters is how many hours you have had previously without a 10 hour break before you can get behind the wheel. Obviously if you have worked your 70 then you are done for 34 or recap.

11. FuzzFace2

FuzzFace2 Medium Load Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Angier, N.C.
    My under standing is ANYTHING to do with the job be it paper work/truck inspections/etc. you are on the clock.
    So if you are on your 30m/10h/34h resets and say you have 10 min. left before you can go back on the clock if you go on the clock before then it wipes out any time you had up to that point and would have to start all over again from the beginning.
    I am local but run Elogs and I have to keep eye on my 30 min break and not move the truck before the clock shows 31 min to be safe other wise safety calls me.
    Dave ----

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.