DOT right to search without prob. cause??

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by newbee NC, Sep 10, 2007.

1. psanderson

psanderson Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Moline, Illinois
    Do you have a lock on the door? Do you use it? Or perhaps study the law and appeal the laws as they stand

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DBL_TIME

DBL_TIME <strong>"Two Mints in One"</strong>

Feb 9, 2008
    I never got the concept of a PORTABLE safe anyhow. To me thats like see thru pants, whats the use.

psanderson Thanks this.
  4. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    Were you always as sloppy in your work as you have indicated here? I know if I were carrying document that were "15 times more sensitive than anything you'll carry in a truck" (sic) that they would never leave my side, or they would be secured such as in a safe. What about a "smash & grab" at a truck stop or rest stop? Do you think it is reasonable that a driver should not have the right to security, privacy and safety of their personal information; especially in light of how severe a problem identity theft is?

Apparently you've never had your bank accounts cleared out or had your identity used in a criminal manner and then been left not only financially devestated, but now you have to spend money you don't have and time you can't afford in order to clear your name.

5. lostNfound

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    Bolted to the truck.

6. psanderson

psanderson Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Moline, Illinois
    There is no document of which I could think that must be held that securely. What would it be? A drivers' license? Social Security card? Hazardous Materials Bills of lading? Check Book?

What, prey tell, would need to be in your vehicle that would be an absolute necessity to driving that vehicle that needed that much security?

7. DBL_TIME

Feb 9, 2008
    My pants? Lol,jk.....just make sure not to drill through the frame. No welds or holes right.

8. DBL_TIME

Feb 9, 2008
    Every since I started trucking I've handed my social out like it was pez candy. It goes on a lot of stuff. I had my identity stolen once.....they returned it with a note that said no thanks,sorry bout ur luck.lol

9. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    That cracks me up! Mainly because I can relate!

10. lostNfound

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    Yes.

In addition to that, a passport, a birth certificate, perhaps citizenship papers, or any other personal identity documents.

It takes a 15 year-old kid about 15 seconds to break into a locked car with a screwdriver. It takes a few moments longer to steal the same car that is factory equipped with all kinds of anti-theft systems. And you think a driver should be made to rely on a door lock that hasn't been updated in decades and very likely the keys from three of the same brand of truck parked in that lot fit?

11. DBL_TIME

Feb 9, 2008
    Yeah I have to have a co-signer to pay cash.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.