DOT Stop Question

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dino soar, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I was just wondering if you were stopped by DOT and they tell you that you have a mechanical problem, is there any repair that they will tell you that a Certified mechanic has to do?

Also, as an owner operator, are are there any repairs that you have to be certified to do yourself?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    In PA you have to certified to adjust your brakes. Or it used to be that way a few years ago.

4. blade

blade Heavy Load Member

Jan 30, 2009
    Some where, Mo
    Brakes are bout the only thing that comes to mind!! But most should count experience in Lou of a certification!!

5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    While true about the brake cert, isn't it simply just a piece of paper the mechanic signs? No money, no testing, etc.

If that's the case, if a mechanic is not certified, I wouldn't let him within 10 feet of my rig.

blade Thanks this.
  6. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I would say brakes also but that only for brake repairs. You can adjust them if needed.

blade Thanks this.
  7. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    Not in PA. At least that's how it was last time I got an out of adjustment there.

8. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Some states do not allow you to adjust your brakes unless you are certified. Anybody ca certify easily though.
    I am certified or was. but have no clue where my card is, as I have had no need for it for years.
    I know in New Mexico, unless it has changed, if the dot red tags you and you have to repair it before it moves. you can call a mechanic out.
    He can do the repairs, sign off on your inspection and you can leave.
    If you do the repairs yourself, the dot has to inspect it again before you can leave. not sure about any other state.

blade Thanks this.
  9. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    PA State police got me 2 years ago in company truck during roadside inspection. One brake was out of adjustment. Let me climb under there to adjust and sent me on the way.

On a side note-
    I just went through a roadside inspection friday and they were just dipping fuel tanks only looking for off road fuel. No other checks Weird how many and a few others were talking about we never heard of anyone getting fuel tanks checked even during dot inspections. Weird

10. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    I've always done my own repairs and adjustments when checked by the DOT. All his job is to see that it is OOS.
    Quite a few times I have run across DOT officers that really didn't know what they were doing or looking for, they were only following orders from the capitan so they could satisfied the funding request from the state capital to keep their numbers up.

11. heyns57

heyns57 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2006
    near Kalamazoo Speedway
    In Canada, only a certified (torque wrench) tire man can install a Bud wheel.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.