DOT tire law??

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by twowolves, May 22, 2011.

1. twowolves

twowolves Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Ohio
    Been wth co 9 months and they always authorized shops fixing anything I needed-am a very safety orientated driver BUT I picked up a preloaded trailer and saw a slice to the belt about a inch long inside a rear inner trailer tire.Told my mgr and figured I would get it fixed on the road.Stopped on weekend when he wasnt there and they would not authorize it being replaced.They said run it til it blows.
    My question-is it DOT citable?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    If the belt is visible... yes.

393.75(a)

No motor vehicle shall be operated on any tire that...

(4) ...has a cut to the extent that the ply or belt material is exposed.

twowolves Thanks this.
  4. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    That is going to be a problem, all of the office staf needs to know the regulations and understand them. Sure you have a business to run and not everything can be fixed by a road call but they also can't be asking you to run unsafe equipment. Its going to be a long bumpy road this CSA

5. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    I've got news for ya Meltom... that's straight out of the FMCSA Green Book. That regulation predates CSA by quite a long time, and there's absolutely nothing new about the enforcement of it by state DOT officers.

6. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I'm on board with ya there, the problem is getting people caught up on the regs. Operations are going to need to be trained to deal with actual problems. They can't just pass the buck. People that used to be the go to guys may now be the biggest problems. Everyone is going to have to get their learning on.

twowolves Thanks this.
  7. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Huh? Where do you come up with this? For the last zillion years of truckin' you'd get put out of service for running a tire like that. CSA changes nothing, except that the carriers acting in bad faith will get put on notice - and the driver is still responsible for taking faulty equipment out on the road.

8. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    It just come spewing out. I bet if you walked into the office today and told this story that most everyone would say "breakdown said to run it? Then you should run it". Operations and drivers need to work as a team to make sure things are done the right way.

9. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    the azzhats in Mt. cited me for having a nail in my trailer tire.

10. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    And???

395.75(a)(3) states that you can't operate a CMV with a tire that has an audible leak, and 392.7 states that you won't drive a CMV unless parts including the tires are in "good working order."

Maybe said "azzhat" had a point, dya think???

11. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Unfeakin' unbelieveable.....................

That green book has around since I can remember.

Used to be advised to carry a copy in your truck......

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.