DOT trap lol

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ad356, Jul 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    My route frequently takes me down rt20. They closed a bridge on rt20, rerouting traffic through rt63 in the town of. The DOT occasionally sets up in pavillion. Yesterday I took the detour through pavilion and noticed the blue Chevy Tahoe with creeper sitting next to it. At this point they weren't pulling anyone in. When I returned from my last farm I took the alternate back road around the DOT. It seems to me that they setup there intentionally knowing that the other major truck route was closed. Smells like a trap.

I really do believe the DOT is more about money then safety. Don't feed the pigs if you can avoid it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Well that is rather vague. How about something a bit more specific? County and state would help with where ever the DOT is setting up.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Of course it's about the money. When I lived in Tennessee, the old Public Service Commission leader, Keith Bissell, let it be known to all DOT officers to write enough tickets to pay all our salaries and then some.
    Campaign laws at the time were that anyone running for public office, can keep any leftover campaign money and put it in their personal bank account. Keith Bissell's clown PSC officers would show up at trucking company terminals "requesting" campaign donations for Keith Bissell. If the trucking company didn't fork over cash, their trucks would be harassed with no mercy at scale houses and roadside inspection setups. The company I worked for, XpressCo refused to pay and Keith Bissell's hoodlums made our lives miserable. The owner of XpressCo was Wayne Wise who later started Western Express.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "More than 10 years after the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association filed suit against the Tennessee Public Service Commission and PSC Chairman Keith Bissell over truckers' rights, the state finally wrote a check for $583,700 to OOIDA for attorney fees and costs ordered by the court when OOIDA won the suit.

OOIDA's lawsuit, filed in March 1990, was prompted by discriminatory abuse of out-of-state truckers and touched off a chain of events that culminated in the abolishment of the Tennessee PSC.
    In 1994, U.S. District Court Judge Robert Echols ruled that Bissell had illegally discriminated against truck drivers who refused to contribute to his campaign fund. Evidence presented by
    OOIDA during the trial prompted the Federal Highway Administration to withhold federal funding and the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation to launch their own fact-finding mission. The state legislature dismantled the PSC altogether in 1995.
    In 1997, the Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit voided the injunction won by OOIDA on the grounds that it was "too vague." However, the appeals court did not void Echols' declaration that the truckers' rights had been violated. The 6th Circuit sent the case back to Echols to consider whether the injunction was still needed since Bissell was no longer a Commissioner. Echols, in his second ruling, agreed with the appellate court that the injunction was unnecessary, but found that OOIDA still deserved to be awarded partial payment for legal costs.
    The money will go to the association's Litigation Fund to assist in the funding of other legal actions directed at protecting the rights of professional truckers, according to the association's web site.
    OOIDA's attorneys plan to negotiate with the state on interest and on the attorney's fees incurred during the appeal."

5. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    NY state DOT rt63 town of pavilion. Nearly everything in this state is about "generating" "stealing" revenue. It's just another tax.

The at work vehicles are reasonably maintained. We have two full time mechanics and a full service shop. Something needs attention it gets repaired.

One of the things that would have resulted in a fine are the crappy license plates. They are no longer painted like they were years ago. Now they are a cheap piece of tin with a sticker applied. The plates are so bad they peal off. I asked my boss about it and he was told he would have to wait for another plate... And take the trailers out of service until the new plates arrive. The plates and permits will be renewed next month. Perhaps NYS should have plates good enough to last the life of the registration and permit.

6. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    That's absurd. Never knew it was that corrupt. Good grief.

7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    If it was actually about safety, every scale would be open 24/7/365. Never know when that unsafe driver will slide by with a license plate light out, or mud flap missing.

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    They pulled me into a rest area for an inspection. The guy said a tail light is out on the trailer. I looked at the lights and asked which one is out because looks like they all work. He pointed at one and said that one is out, even though it was lit up. Gave me a ticket and said if I have a problem with it, he'll go over the truck again and give me some real problems. XpressCo paid the ticket because they know it was a shakedown due to Wayne Wise refusing to "donate" campaign contributions. This was in Tennessee. OOIDA brought all that to a halt, which is in the article I posted.

9. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    we complain of the rickety trucks and trailers on our roads, getting into accidents and making the general public hate us even more

we complain about any DOT setting up to possibly catching such equipment and drivers.

what's the alterantive?

ignore everything, and let the road carnage continue?

if YOUR equipment and YOUR logs are up to date and in proper order, then YOU have nothing to worry about.

is it a money grab?

most likely, but if your crap is all together then YOU have nothing to worry about.

10. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    IF they want to find something they WILL find something. their job is not vehicle safety..... that's a guise. their job is revenue "generating".

11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    One of those guys in Tennessee; think he lives in Crossville or near there, was so pumped up on power and corruption, finally the state refused to let him take his trooper car to his house. He was harassing anyone he could, on his way to work and on his way home after work. Pulled one car over with a family in it and shot their dog, claiming the dog attacked him. Later it was proved he lied about that. He still wasn't fired and was allowed to retire.

buddyd157, FlaSwampRat and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.