DOT trap lol

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ad356, Jul 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frito bandito

frito bandito Light Load Member

May 31, 2019
    Abuse comes in many forms; ignorance is abuse.

FlaSwampRat and lovesthedrive Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Depends on the place, some places do have a 'reputation'.

I know one of my drivers ran his mouth in Connecticut.1.5 hour level one and all that was found was the windshield washer fluid was empty...

Tractor was only a few months old and the tanker was brand new but they looked long and hard...

Same guys used to laugh at my one owner operator who always figured a CVSA sticker from Conn would carry a lot of weight in NJ and NY as he went out of his way to get inspected and every time they were 'out' of CVSA stickers but he kept trying....

Attitude goes a long way with a lot of the inspectors....

401-Alex and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  4. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Do your pretrip and correct the items you know they are looking for before you take off. At least limits issues.

I worry more about CO Sheriff and rolling LEO's than the scales.I've been inspected in most of the scales here in CA, and every Scale ticket I have received, even the overweight was true and accurate, However that certainly does not apply to some of the tickets I've received rolling down the road, like the last one "License not in possession , because I refused to unlock the passenger door or roll down the passenger window." So he wrote me for license not in possession, all on gopro video for the judge, whom dismissed it.
    Scale I do not go around them nor do I have a fear of going thru them, at least out west anyway.
    That does not mean I do there job for them either.

Lepton1, MartinFromBC and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  5. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    I don’t have much to add on the topic but to the license plate issue. If you’re an owner op or have a personal vehicle that’s sees a lot of gravel take and dip your plates in high quality clear poly urethane before coating the whole plate test on a small area to ensure it won’t affect your plate.
    There are so many blends you can’t be too careful.

6. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    The quality of the plates these days in NY state is just terrible. They used to be more durable.

7. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    I keep my front plate inside the car, where the boot should be, still looks new, but have been stopped for the plate not being on the front of the car.

8. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    I’ve always ran both on my personal vehicles and I live on a gravel road and drive a lot of em. My license plates look like they’re sand blasted after 6months because of rocks flying. Road has basically pea gravel with a 35mph speed limit and some people run 50-60 (it’s a two lane bi direction highway)

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  9. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Hmmmm. Seems like organized crime to me.

HoneyBadger67 Thanks this.
  10. GlobalFM001

GlobalFM001 Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2019
    I got a ticket in New Mexico for a flat tire. Had a nail in it, I tried talking to the officer and telling her that it could have happened at anytime in my last 4.5 hours of driving and I wouldn’t have known until the next time I stopped. She didn’t care, wrote me a ticket.
    After that I’m always nervous going into weigh stations.
    Because at the end of the day their salary whether directly or indirectly is supplemented by the fines, they have an incentive to write you a ticket over simply having you correct the issue.

FlaSwampRat and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  11. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    Is it OK to quote NWA here?
    :-D
    For the most part, I've dealt with a lot of decent cops. There are those, though, who think they are above the laws they are supposedly enforcing. #### those pigs. I had a fat ### in Iowa write a ticket for no seatbelt when he couldn't even get one around his blubber. He was big enough to put 95% of the lard ##### at the flying j to shame. It would seem some believe a badge gives them free reign, even after they turn it in.

D.Tibbitt and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.