Dot Violation?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by CheapSkate23, Nov 15, 2023.

1. CheapSkate23

CheapSkate23 Bobtail Member

Nov 15, 2023
    I own/operate a business with a weekly average or 3-4 hours a week. I also drive a day cab with average of 40-50 hours a week Monday-Friday. My question is, Is I in violation with dot doing this? My business has nothing to do with DOT. Feedback appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    All I know is that hours worked that you are paid for while in Off Duty status count against your 70 hour clock.

You'll not want to work while on your 34 hour restart.

Perhaps @ZVar or @Moosetek13 can shed more light on the subject.

4. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Now slow down a minute & start at the beginning. Why is this even a question? Did you get a violation? Aunties boyfriends cousin said it was a violation?
    What happened for this to become a question?
    If it was a violation, what was the violation and why did the officer say it was a violation?
    Did your employer bring this up as an issue or possible issue?

Come on now, if you want a real answer/advise, you gotta tell the story/scenario.

5. CheapSkate23

CheapSkate23 Bobtail Member

Nov 15, 2023
    No violations or citations. Yes, my employer just questioned me about it after 2 years of running the business

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Might not have to log if he stays within a certain radius.

7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Yes he does. Might just need to do it in a timecard instead of the full graph log, but it's still has to be logged.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2023
  8. goga

goga Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Earth..
    I'm curious if exercising while off duty is considered a physical labor and has to be logged in as an on duty status also..

9. Hatt91

Hatt91 Light Load Member

May 18, 2018
    The hypothetical violation would be not logging the time you spent working for your business. The fact of the business you own/operate has nothing to do with DOT is irrelevant.

if your primary gig was driving a company truck, and you also flipped burgers at McDonald's, the hours you spent at McDonald's must be logged 'on duty' and submitted to your trucking company

10. istumped

istumped Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2015
    I agree and disagree with the above situation as I'm in the same situation. All except hours,distance,product hauling Let's be fair than all individuals must show drive time to and from work in their vehicles.

11. goga

goga Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Earth..
    It is considered as "Personal Convenience" and has no obligation to be shown in any shape or form on any form in any shape.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.