DoubleYellow's Covenant Thrival Guide

Discussion in 'Covenant' started by double yellow, Feb 27, 2012.

1. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Have you made it out to Pomona yet? I talked with a couple reefer teams and overall they all had good things to say about the division (a rarity at terminals). The only negative repeatedly mentioned had to do with a still underdeveloped trailer pool (trucks often having to spend half a day running around trying to get a trailer -- especially in socal)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. transportHER

transportHER <strong>The Dynamic Duo</strong>

May 3, 2011
    Ryan was a very nice young fella. We just met him in person right before we moved to reefer. Cindy is our new dispatcher. I hear good things about her. Looking forward to good things.

4. transportHER

May 3, 2011
    FINALLY back rolling! The truck is as good as new and the air leak is gone. My hat is off to breakdown once again and also to this peticular Freightliner shop. They had amazing customer service. If I had a question, they were on it. It is the one in Irving.
    We are now headed to Colton for our first reefer load. And we too have heard good things about the reefer division. What I have heard repeatedly is that they are super organized and that dispatch is really on top of things. And already know about the trailer chase. Hope this will get ironed out in the near future for a well-rounded division. We are super excited about learning to work with refrigerated units and the proper way to handle these type of loads with the shippers and receivers. We picked up our first reefer trailer today and our total miles for this load is 3460. That is a nice number after sitting for a week. It was an unfortunate run of quirky ocurrences. BUT Today!... We are riding down the road with a bright shiney new grill, 10 new tires on the truck and NO piercing high pitched air leaks. Yeee Hahh!

5. double yellow

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Wow 3500 miles beats any run I've ever done, congrats!

I do have a small consolation: I'm going to cross Vermont off my 'never been to' list of states. That leaves just Maine, New Hampshire, and Hawaii -- not bad for one year otr (Alaska I visited previously -- I've trucked in all the others). Pretty soon I'll be able to sing "I've been everywhere man" in earnest! (small coincidence: I'm just down the road from Winnemucca as I write this lol)

6. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    TransportHer... That's AWESOME!! You guys are in a very good division. I think you will like it and will do very well. My best wishes to you. :yes2557:

transportHER Thanks this.
  7. transportHER

May 3, 2011

So have you hit your ONE year mark yet? Can't believe it has creeped up on us this fast. This entire year has been a fantastic learning experience. Still have much to learn, but we are feeling good knowing that neither one of us knew the first thing about driving Over The Road when we made the decision to head to Bradford Union Technical.
    Grand Lake, Devils Lake, Crater Lake, for Pete's sake

double yellow Thanks this.
  8. double yellow

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Its been 1 year since truck driving school, a few weeks away from my orientation anniversary with Covenant... I'm not sure whether they seniority by activation date or upgrade out of training date...

So what have you learned so far on reefer? When do you open that little peekaboo door on the back? How do you know how the reefer is doing ok while driving? Are you having to load & unload?

9. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Sent you pm... check it out.

10. transportHER

May 3, 2011
    Hey there DY!! Reading your posts, I would not think you have been doing this for only one year. I have wanted to ask you if you had trucking in your family history. You're just too smart for your trucker britches. LOL!!

Well, here's the update on the Reefer Division so far.

We came out the gate rolling and have not stopped. There is a lot of waiting TO GET TO the Loading and Unloading (we do not do any loading or unloading...so far), but once you bump the dock, it is pretty quick. And Cindy, our new dispatch manager is right on top of things. She is keeping us preplanned. Very nice!
    And I did look in the peekaboo hole. It's kind of dark to see, but you can make out if your load locks are still in place and see that the cargo is still in tact. And there is a light on the corner of the reefer unit that we can glance at while driving. Each time we stop, we check to see that the temp is where it should be. And I am sure we have much more to learn.
    But so far, so good.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  11. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    I once pulled a refer trailer at Covenant but it was another company trailer. I was substituting for a couple. All they told me was to make sure the temp was the same the whole time (can't remember what it was). The green light was on and there was half fuel in the refer fuel reservoir (is that how they call it?) It was one short run, was unloaded and then dropped trailer at Star terminal. Very glad to know you guys are happy at the refer division. :yes2557:

transportHER Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted