DoubleYellow's Covenant Thrival Guide

Discussion in 'Covenant' started by double yellow, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Hey Double Yellow... what happened? No more postings?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Been meaning to, but havent had much stationary time to break out the laptop & I hate writing more than a few sentences on the phone

4. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Well... good to know you are still around... and being busy. :biggrin_25519:

5. transportHER

transportHER <strong>The Dynamic Duo</strong>

May 3, 2011

We are with you on that one!! Been busy and loving it. I keep saying the same thing. I need to get to posting.
    Glad YOU ARE working toward that comfortable retirement. : )

6. double yellow

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    assuming we dont lose our next preplanned load, this will be my second 7000mile week. Ive really been wanting to sit down and write more, but we've just been rolling. I do feel guilty though, so jere is a quick rundown of current pay brackets at covenant (to the best of my knowledge: payroll does not have a chart or anything they give out).

training ( >= first 35 days): $450/week + 1cptm hazmat
    first 90 days (training period does not count towards this 90): 14cptm +3cptm hazmat (~=28 or 34cpm)
    91-180 days*: 15cptm + 3cptm hazmat (~=30 or 36cpm)
    180-365 days*: 17cptm + 3cptm hazmat (~=34 or 40cpm)
    366+ days: raise varies based on annual review with FM

solo drivers start out at 26cpm (a cent or two less if dedicated)

every quarter without an incident results in a bonus equal to that quarter's total truck miles x $0.01 For example, this quarter I had 60,000 truck/team miles (took 2 weeks off) for a $600 bonus

*if you have a low csa score and no incidents 90days after training, you can test out at chattanooga to the 6-month pay rate. the test is very much like the training test, but the lanes are quite a bit tighter. I probably come across a real-life dock that tight once every 3 months (but ofcourse dont have a tester standing there with a clipboard watching me)... if you fail you can retry once that same day. fail again and you have to wait the full 6 months.

slightly annoying is the fact your 35+ day training period does not count towards your payrate senority. had you worked for a competitor those first 35 days would count -- a fact I'm left to assume speaks to the high regard in which covenant brass holds their own training program...

g64 Thanks this.
  7. transportHER

transportHER <strong>The Dynamic Duo</strong>

May 3, 2011

Can not even imagine having to team with someone I did not know. It is challenging with someone that you know and trust well. Just this morning, right after two loads cancelled back to back, we had a tap on the window from another driver who just had two loads cancel. He was fuming mad. As he stormed up the street, the other driver was trying to reason with him while he slowly drove beside him. I guess trying to get him to get back in the truck and calm down. I felt bad for both drivers. Trying to work through stressful situations with someone who may or may not deal with things the same way would be tough. If you are fortunate enough to have a good team partner (as I do) then one should truly count your blessings!... I MUST SAY you have to be commended for sticking with it and perservering through it all!!

Rocks Thanks this.
  8. bigmonzanoman

bigmonzanoman Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    I hope they pay their student drivers better then when I went there as a student fresh out of school. Highway robbery paying me 0.16 a mile. I couldn't even pay my bills at home or feed myself on the road.

But I didn't have a bad experience. I would of probably stayed had I been paid a little more.

9. double yellow

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Cool tip I recently learned:

in the qualcomm navigation you can specify hazmat routing. After typing "@COVCHA10" (just for example using Covenant's Chattanooga terminal) add a "/h" & the number of the class you are hauling. So flammable liquid would be @COVCHA10/h3

And in case I forgot to mention it earlier, always try the shipper id (eg @covcha10, @covhut02, etc) first rather than typing out the address in the qualcomm navigation. There will often be helpful differences like gate codes, or directions to a truck entrance

10. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    I tried that navigation only once but eventhough I typed the correct id to the consignee, navigation couldn't give me correct location or route... The location wasn't in my GPS either and Covenant didn't have directions... :biggrin_25513: Thankfully, I found another driver where I was picking up who knew the place where I was supposed to go and drew me a map of how to get there... That I call old fashion navigation... :biggrin_25525:

Danny N Angel and transportHER Thank this.
  11. thedrifter

thedrifter Medium Load Member

May 23, 2010
    portland or.
    I thankfully do not drive for a big outfit. But I think the info that BY wrote was spot on for most any company out here big or small. Good job writing this up.

The Challenger and transportHER Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.