Downgrades in the snow

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Kinny, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Kinny

Kinny Bobtail Member

Oct 17, 2018
    How can a tractor trailer drive downgrade in the snow or heavy rain and keep speed at say 40 or 50 mph while loaded without using the j break?? Wouldn’t that cause the breaks to smoke and eventually catch fire? I’ve driven downgrades in Colorado and Utah without the j break and I ended up on the side of the road with my breaks smoking... I feel like im missing something here any help greatly appreciated

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    I've never rode any serious downgrades, but I'm just going to say, if you're not using the jakes, you're not going down the hill at that sort of speed, especially in snow. Just slow down a little more, and I never tell people to slow down so that should tell you something.

Dino soar, Woodys, Lepton1 and 2 others Thank this.
  4. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    You can’t thats why professionals go slower in bad conditions

Dino soar, Woodys, jammer910Z and 3 others Thank this.
  5. Kinny

Kinny Bobtail Member

Oct 17, 2018
    And when in bad conditions you go slower by using only the service break? No jakes?

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Well, I wouldn't worry about the brakes catching fire in heavy rain or snow, and 50 is too fast for going down a steep grade in snow, rain not so much. Remember, the the truck has to pull the trailer, not t'other way round. Jakes can get you in trouble, mostly when empty on snow, but loaded, I'd use them. Common sense dictates on hills with snow. Flashers on, and maybe 20 mph to start.

7. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Jakes or no jakes, the proper gear for the hill will require very little use of the service brakes. If you're having to use a lot of brake, you're in too high of a gear, descending the hill too fast.

8. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Going too slow downhill in the snow can cause you to start sliding downhill, or if you’re going around a corner too slow it can cause you to slide to the low side of the corner into the snow bank. You have to use common sense, and you’ll only get a feel for driving in those conditions by doing it. I’d always use the jake, but sometimes only on the first or second stage when light or empty. Fully loaded I’d run it on third stage all the way down. Never go down a hill on the upper end of your RPM range. Always leave a little bit in case you need some throttle to correct a situation.

Oxbow, Rugerfan, 201 and 3 others Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    No.

**I N H A L E S **

NO! /roar.

There is a certain speed downgrade you need to be at all the way whatever that might be. Your truck will talk to you very well if she is happy in the sweet spot. Don't be in such a hurry to consummate the mountain run, you will be while, provided no on else in the mess of trucks and cars around you screwed it up fo everyone else.

BUMBACLADWAR, Kyle G. and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  10. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Went down the Coquihalla once with 94,000 lbs gross dry van triaxle. 11% grade fourth gear, no jakes ,on snow , truck held it back just fine.

11. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I thought the steepest part of that was 8-9% or so? Don’t recall it being 11%, but I was only over it once and it’s been a while.

Oxbow, Rugerfan and x1Heavy Thank this.
  12. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Any time you are desending a hill you should very rarely have to use your service brakes. In good conditions ona long straight downgrade you use the jake brakes to maintain a safe speed, if your Jake Brake still isnt enough to keep you at a safe speed you use the service brakes to slow down enough to downshift 1 gear. Then try the Jake brakes again. And repeat if necessary or until the jake brakes will hold you at a safe speed.

In bad conditions (heavy rain, snow, ice, ECT.) You slow to a safe speed, in a lower gear, with jakes OFF.... BEFORE you begin the downgrade. When you begin to descend the downgrade you let off the throttle and let engine hold you, if you begin to gain speed very gentle service brake to slow and downshift 1 gear. Then try letting the engine hold you. When you are in the right gear for that speed the egine will hold your speed or even slow you down.

I have descended many, many grades. And a good number of them 7% and 8%. If I use the service brakes for more than a total of 10 seconds on any one grade it is to slow even further for slower traffic or an emergency.

If you know what you are doing you can descend an 8% grade, and maintain speed strickly with the engine and slight throttle to gain speed if necessary.... And never even touch the service brake.

Aggressive use of service brakes on a down grade can kill you, even more so in bad conditions. Jake brakes can do the same in bad conditions if used without caution.

40 or 50 mph downhill in bad conditiins is asking for trouble on almost any downgrade. SLOW DOWN!!! DOWN-SHIFT!!! Let your engine do the work for you, so you can save your service brakes.

MBAngel, snowlauncher and redoctober83 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.