Downshifting for a 90 degree turn

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Bones_379, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Bones_379

Bones_379 Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Tennessee
    I have a little driving experience but have been driving an automatic and start a new job next week driving local and will be driving a ch613 mack 350 horsepower 9 speed. When i am in 9th gear and running 55 mph how should i gear down for a 90 degree turn? Some say double down 9-7-5-3-1 and some say gear down every gear and some say just coast and get the right gear before you turn. The problem with that is ill be lost and wont know what gear to get. If i do skip down, with that size motor and the 9 speed what would be a good gear to be in to make a 90 degree turn? Ill usually be loaded about 80,000 pounds. Also what would be a good gear if empty?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    My truck has a 10 speed. I will slow in 10th gear until the engine lugs (usually 25mph), clutch, then neutral, then let clutch out. Continue braking down to 10mph, raise RPM to 1400, clutch, then 4th gear should drop. You should only need to be out of gear for about 4-5 seconds using this method.

Empty, I'll do the same but maybe a bit faster in 5th, depending on the requirements of the particular turn. When deciding on speed for the turn, you've got to consider turn angle, traffic spacing, up / down grades before and after the turn, etc. Your gear selection will be dependent on what speed you choose for the turn.

Choose your speed first, and know what gear you need for that speed.

4. crzyjarmans

crzyjarmans Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Home
    Coasting is not smart!, doubling downs ok, I've done it a time or two, every gear is ok as well, If you know your going to need to make a 90 degree turn, you will need to slow early, Just my opinion

Ranger70 and Raiderfanatic Thank this.
  5. Bones_379

Bones_379 Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Tennessee
    Would the RPM's and speed be the same in a 9 speed?

6. NewbieRick

NewbieRick Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Pacific, mo
    Every truck is different...

7. ShootThis

ShootThis Medium Load Member

I double down to 3rd loaded and 5th empty with tanker.

8. fland

fland Light Load Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Mayfield NB
    You'll just have to learn to find a gear that fitts the circomstances, it won't be easy at first but you'll learn..!!

I remember when I was young (is a lomg time ago) and I was driving with my dad beside me. I hoped the traffic light would stay red untill I would have stopped completely because when it would turn green, then just like you, I had to find the right gear to continue...

Just practice a lot, shift up, shift back, try to get the feeling..!!

Good luck..!!

WvDiesel Thanks this.
  9. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    4th gear sounds appropriate. but it depends on what you are dragging behind you.

common sense is the name of the game. Slower is better

Ranger70 Thanks this.
  10. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    All turns should be made in 3rd gear or less. The sharper, the slower if that means going into 2nd or 1st, so be it. Watch a few youtube video's about trucks overturning on sharp turns (especially 90 degree ones) and you'll quickly see why slower, is better. Especially because of your lack of familiarization with a manual transmission again.

Good Luck

WvDiesel Thanks this.
  11. FCW9

FCW9 Light Load Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Baldwisnville, NY
    I agree with crzy. Slow down early. give yourself time to downshift, and watch your revs. all you're going to need is about 400 RPM for a little rev to grab the next gear down. You've got more of a chance of missing gears if you try and skip shift, at least at first. To start with, try going every gear. There's only going to be 4 of them since you can usually deal with getting it down to 4th to make most city turns. Just get a feel for the truck at first and don't be "that guy".

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.