Downshifting going uphill

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TooTiredToTalk, Apr 7, 2022.

1. TooTiredToTalk

TooTiredToTalk Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2022
    The problem with backing is that in schools, they are on a range that has been set up a very specific way. So when us newer drivers get out there like me for example, I KNOW the movement of my trailer and how to back, BUT I haven't been able to figure out how to set myself up for a back. If you don't know how to set yourself up correctly, it just makes the backing up scene that much harder. I have never hit anything because I don't just assume that a I'm in the clear BUT this is why it takes me FOREVER AND A DAY to back most times. That is why it pisses me off when drivers get on the CB at truck stops and are #####ing about how other drivers are backing or how long it is taking. Would you rather have me hit your ####ing truck or trailer? Didn't think so....not trying to direct this at you necessarily. I remember getting into a fight with a few dumb MF's on the CB in I believe it was Santa Rosa, NM for being a bunch of crybabies.

Shifting as I said, school is only a limited amount of time. If they can get you to pass, that is all that really matters. And some students need longer to get better, but you don't have the extra time. So if you can pass, good enough is how it works. We weren't even taught how to split gears.

goga and Brettj3876 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TooTiredToTalk

Feb 24, 2022
    Same. We struggled with the downshifting more than upshifting. That seems to be harder for most people.

4. TooTiredToTalk

Feb 24, 2022

5. TooTiredToTalk

Feb 24, 2022
    I Never Knew How To Downshift AND Upshift Simultaneously.
    Loosing Speed = DOWNSHIFT.
    Gaining = UPSHIFT or Simply Jump Gears.

- THAT WAS NOT WHAT I MEANT. OBVIOUSLY, I SHOULD HAVE CLARIFIED THIS ONE A BIT MORE, SO SORRY FOR THAT. BUT I ALSO DON'T HAVE THE PATIENCE RIGHT NOW TO ASK IT IN A MORE SIMPLE CONTEXT.

6. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    In the age before a wide dash full of gauges;and cab insulation, we mostly shifted by sense of forward motion, exhaust sound, and vibrations.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2022
    Reason for edit: fixed quote
  7. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    We have a truck driving school here in Tupelo. After reading some of these posts,I am tempted to park near the exit and observe the referenced acts.
    Should a lot more entertaining than "geezer gazing" here in the retirement community. We have a little lady, 93, drives a 4 year old Buick. Her insurance company wanted the odometer readings, had her on less than 30K per year rate. I could not get in to sit for the pile of cushions she uses to see out, but knelt and snapped a pic of the instruments onto my phone. 8018 the digital said.... She is getting them to go to less than 10K. Goes to her doc appts, groceries, and to her bridge club as idea strikes her.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  8. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    Patience IS Required When Shifting Gears.
    When One Has Not Patience, One Might Share Medical Space Alongside Patients.
    Automatics Sometimes Improve The Patient Patience.

JolliRoger Thanks this.
  9. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Easy deal pull it down to 1400 move selector from OD to direct let off throttle 1 second then get back on it easy. Pull it down to 1400 again move selector to OD let off throttle and move stick forward gently and slowly accelerate the motor to match RPM of engine to gear and road speed it falls in the hole and roll back into the throttle. Or same concept but don’t worry about splitting down go whole gears and pull down to 1300 you will have to rev it a little higher to get in gear on whole downshifts

10. MAMservices

MAMservices Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2021
    Mississippi
    I don’t teach driving but in my Community College Auto and Diesel classes so many kids come through tha wish to learn to drive a “stick”. I found an ol 85 K2500, made it half road worthy, removed from driveshaft. Those that wish to learn have an opportunity, just leave it in low range and let ‘em learn to use a clutch and shift without going fast yet. Very robust drive train so it has held up for a long time. Some of these are high school kids, with a few even advancing to operating my Columbia on my place. 4 of my recent kids got jobs driving dump trucks at chicken farms and processing plants doin Mens work at 16-18 years old makin their own money.

Cattleman84, D.Tibbitt and LameMule Thank this.
  11. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Turn off the cb and ignore the idiots making stupid comments. If you don't hit anything you did a good job.

Learning to back between cones in school and doing it in the real world are completely different. My first 3 years of driving I pretty much never bumped a dock. Food service my 1st year and then 2 years in the oilfield. When I started pulling a box it was like being green all over again trying to bump docks Lol

D.Tibbitt, TooTiredToTalk and goga Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.