DPF Regen

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by sammaxlee, Aug 23, 2019.

1. sammaxlee

sammaxlee Bobtail Member

Jun 20, 2019
    I have 2008 VOLVO w/ cummins ENG.
    I am doing REGEN every 2 days.so I put new dpf filter but I have still same problem
    Anybody who get a same experience as me?.please advise to me ,thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    Have this done to your motor, it will clean thee entire engine not just the filters. http://www.diesel-force.com. Then start using this, Max Mileage. It will keep that engine clean. I use this product and it is fantastic, start using it as fast as you can to help get that engine cleaned up. I met the lady chemist that invented it yesterday at the Dallas truck show, Just give it a try I don't think you will disappointed.

koolaid6666 and Newto Trucking Thank this.
  4. jaylo

jaylo Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2010
    wichita,ks
    Actually there’s a video on YouTube that shows removing dpf and taking to car wash preferably hot water and spraying it out backwards and Cummins doesn’t have a problem with it.
    Also run the silver bottle of pro service once a month if you want. Remove dosed valve because I don’t know if Cummins has a 7th injector. If so remove clean with brake clean and brush.

5. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    The problem you have is your engine generate too much soot, Filter is full or face plugged and ECM call for regeneration.
    How many miles on this engine?
    How many hours idling and PTO?
    When last time was overhead adjustment done?
    When last time intake sensors were cleaned or replaced?
    Engine generate soot (black smoke)
    1. To much fuel
    Injectors leaking, not adjusted.
    Valves not adjusted
    Timing not adjusted
    Engine burning oil
    2. Low on air
    Dirty air filter
    Bad turbo
    Leaking CAC or connecting hoses
    EGR valve stuck open
    Never wash DPF with water. Chemicals in water will react with precision metals in filter and destroy it.

6. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    snake oil

KB3MMX, Snailexpress and Socal Xpress Thank this.
  7. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    The OP already installed new DPF filters and it's still calling for regeneration.
    @Snailexpress is showing you the right things to look for.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  8. Prince bhangu

Prince bhangu Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2019
    Ontario
    I have a 2010 prostar with Cummins isx. It shows warning engine light on highway with code 3251 fmi 15. When get off the highway warning engine light replace with regen light. Do a park regen, every thing become fine. No code shown. Same thing happening every day. I had bake filter, put new doc & new turbo.serviced dozer. Still same problem. Plz suggest me how to comeout. Every time Machenic throw new parts.

9. 6cuda6

6cuda6 Light Load Member

Oct 9, 2020
    So if your engine is calling for a regen every couple days their is a few things you may be doing to cause it.....
    1- are you doing alot of idling?
    2- what/who's fuel are you running?
    3- when was the last tune up done?

Just to put this into perspective for everyone.....in order for the emission system in your exhaust to work properly the exhaust system itself or more correctly the DOC needs to see "x" temperature before it will start a regen......so cold DOC = no regen.

One of the leading causes of low DOC temps is Bio-Diesel....if the blend of Bio-D gets to high thats not good for the truck, maybe the environment but not your exhaust.....think of it this way, crap in is crap out. Mix in a bunch of idling and things get worse, why you say? Idling doesnt create heat in the exhaust. Then we can add the latest "low rpm" shifting to save fuel trick, which in turn saves fuel but reduces exhaust flow (low rpm = low turbo speed = low exaust flow)

So the OP has replaced many parts but perhaps not taken care of the route cause.....providing there is no mechanical or electrical issue that has been misdiagnosed, i would tell you to run some better/different fuel or at the very least add some fuel additive (cetane booster) to get more heat in the exhaust and avoid idling for long periods of time.

One last thing......read the Owners Manual or Operators manual about extended idling and follow it.

Now dont get me wrong, i hate all the emission crap on vehicles but the industry is also shooting itself in the foot.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  10. Prince bhangu

Prince bhangu Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2019
    Ontario
    Thanks for your response. I’ll change the fuel & tune up done just 6 months earlier.
    I have apu on the truck. When i start up shift, i warm up the truck for 5-7 minutes. Otherwise not doing any idling.

11. RoadtoEmmaus

RoadtoEmmaus Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2014
    20170129_193008.jpg 20160403_091958.jpg " This fault code indicates that the exhaust temperatures exiting the turbocharger are not high enough to actively regenerate the soot that is trapped in the aftertreatment diesel particulate filter."

When I had an ISX motor, every time I would get that code or had ANY issue with DPF system, it was almost always one of 2 things. The doser injector or the egr valve. Not saying its your particular issue but it was always mine. Look at the pics and see what happens to them..top pic is EGR valve, bottom is the doser injector.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.