drain air tanks every day the easier way

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by crucar1800, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    While I think you're just trolling with this post, for the sake of some new drivers that might see this, I'll bite & answer.
    By not draining the air tanks, the condensation buildup will eventually lead to getting water in the entire air system including brake lines & will not only cause damage from the water itself but in the winter, the water in the entire air system will freeze.
    1) You wont be able to build up air.
    2) You wont have brakes.
    I know of times when a driver will have brakes when doing his pretrip, then after getting on the road, the lines freeze & no brakes.

That's why you need to drain your tanks to get rid of the water. It stops water damage in the air system & it prevents freezing of the air tanks, air lines, air dryer, brakes etc in the winter.

Tombstone69, PE_T and Cam Roberts Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I have talked to many drivers over the years that didn't know that the desiccant element on their air dryers needed to be changed periodically. Heck, didn't even know the dryer had one. It comes down to knowing your truck and staying on top of the maintenance.

PE_T Thanks this.
  4. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I now remember that my air dryer filter is capable of separating oil and water. I took a picture of it a couple months ago while I was replacing my entire air dryer/governor. My previous company would replace the air dryer filter along with doing a power steering oil change every year.

Huh. It just occurred to me that the reason these systems are called air dryers is because they dry the air in the system!? How did I miss that.

I found a Bendix document saying that reservoirs (air tanks) still need to be drained every 25,000 miles or 3 months (whichever comes first), and the air dryer filter needs to be replaced every year.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    Reason for edit: More info.
    adayrider Thanks this.
  5. bavarian

bavarian Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
    The air dryer has to work. Period.
    Draining moisture at the end of a -30 day is just blah blah. The moisture is long frozen solid before you pull the valve.
    In eight years, I've drained my tanks twice when I changed the dryer cartridge. Now I just get it changed during pms once in fall to have it in working order for the winter.
    Never had a frozen system.

jon69 Thanks this.
  6. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    I have pulled other people’s tank drains Just out of boredom. My god I have seen boat loads of water come out.

PE_T Thanks this.
  7. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    i use my hand which is connected to my arm which connects to my shoulder system.

scottied67 and PE_T Thank this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    If you are so worried about it, and you want to drain the tanks of water and junk, just go here, order one for each air tank and have them installed.

https://expelloairproducts.com/

9. Expello

Expello Bobtail Member

May 10, 2018
    Hi Ridgeline! Thanks for recommending the Expello valve. Full disclosure: I do work for the company. Don't want to be commercial here just want to let you know that in our experience 1 valve on the wet tank does the trick.

rank and 062 Thank this.
  10. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Whenever I check my air tanks nothing but dry air comes out.
    Which means the air dryer is working as advertised.
    If you have lots of water blowing out, you might want to get the dryer replaced.

scottied67 and PE_T Thank this.
  11. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    How the heck did he find out about @Ridgeline post?

PE_T and 062 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.