Dreaming about sleeping while driving

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by hup, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Coolbreeze100

Coolbreeze100 Medium Load Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Macon, GA
    My friend, I am very serious about this, you are in the beginning stages of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I happen to know a good bit about it. There is a whole host of treatments for PTSD, but my personal favorite is very simple and very effective. It was perfected and used by the VA. I would suggest an appointment with a counselor and see if you can get this sorted out. Incidentally you might also see about a sleep study and have them determine if you suffer from sleep apnea. Since Apnea interferes with REM sleep, it can produce symptoms like yours.

Good luck brother

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pyro1711

pyro1711 Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Bradenton, FL
    Which story is the one with PTSD?

4. RedSkys

RedSkys Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Saskatoon, SK
    I keep having these dreams where I turn the steering wheel but the truck wont turn. It's getting pretty old pretty quick.

5. BigJohn54

BigJohn54 Gone, but NEVER forgotten

May 13, 2011
    SW Missouri

My question exactly. All I see are a bunch of drivers who often work too hard and have typical "truck driver" dreams, visions and incidents.

6. zebcohobo

zebcohobo Vincent Van Gopher

Jul 19, 2010
    Redbank,SC
    I want to hear the simple and effective treatment. Might save me a 6 month wait to see the Dr. at the VA.

7. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    I'm learning that now. I got use to going to the doctor once or twice a month. Now that I'm going to the VA, my next appt is in Nov. I kind of like it though.

Back to the thread. It's been a good 10 years ago, I come home and all my friends and family were camping at the lake. Hmmm, I'll just bobtail to the lake. I asked the TVA guard if I could pull the truck in the campground and he let me. I woke up around 4am and all I saw was tree's, water and fog. Talk about a scarey feeling. I thought I fell asleep at the wheel for a few seconds. Oh ****! :)

8. ReallyRotten

ReallyRotten Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Indianapolis,IN
    When I started to have these dreams in the bunk I didn't realize that it was the start of something that was going to end my career as a Truck Driver. They were always bad night mares about someone breaking into the truck or house while I was asleep. and allot of them was this ghost messing with me and i would end up getting into a fist fight with him then wake up breathing hard. The thing about these dreams they where so real and I would fight like heck to wake up but couldnt.I would become temporarily paralyzed, a state called muscle atonia. To make it short after some years of these bad dreams come to find out in sleep study tests at VA they were hypanogic hallucinations. I had full blown Narcolepsy

9. Powell-Peralta

Powell-Peralta Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Yeah, i have those every now and then. It's the damndest thing. Will discuss later in more detail---very busy now.

2) i must re-emphasize that if you shut the motor off---if at all possible OR wear decent earplugs when you sleep, i think the occurance of these types of driving nightmares will be greatly reduced or eliminated altogether.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.