Drifting Freightliner Columbia

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Subzero1985, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    This was two years ago.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Ammanki renewed the thread 3 days ago, asking the same question, actually asking the original poster what he'd found out. There have been replies to that question.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  4. leftlanetruckin

leftlanetruckin Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    I personally dont mind someone bringing up old threads, at least it shows that they are making an effort by searching, instead of asking the same question again like most.

Martin

Oldironfan, Rideandrepair and S M D Thank this.
  5. Minneapolistruck

Minneapolistruck Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Has anyone found out what the problem for this issue?
    Have the same problem with 2007 truck/freightliner columbia and all it does is turn to the right all the time....it is frustrating
    kingpin changed. allignment done. 5th wheel greased. done all the stuff that was done. not sure what else could be wrong but i am stumped. help please

Oldironfan and safeyankee Thank this.
  6. Jetsr6

Jetsr6 Light Load Member

May 20, 2011
    Mechanicsville, VA
    I had a sticking problem and I had taken the pitman arm off the steering gear box. Turned the steering wheel and felt the same sticking. So I replaced steering gear and pump no more sticking.

7. great2c4me

great2c4me Bobtail Member

May 18, 2015
    I'm thinking about swapping out my gear box to remove some play in the steering. I go 58 moat the time, but hate going any faster cause she's all over the road. Good alignment & all, just a considerable amount of play in the steering wheel. I tightened the pitman arm on the shaft and it helped a lot, but wasn't more Play out.
    by replacing the steering gear box & pump, did it feel like a new truck?

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  8. safeyankee

safeyankee Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2012
    PA
    I'm having the same difference, got a 2007 Columbia and pulls excessively to the right, have to pull steering wheel to the left a little to keep it straight. Front end will even wobble left and right a little at higher speeds. All around wheel alignment done, steers were balanced along with alignment, got all new 8 drives (virgins), replaced steer box and lubed steer column, steer tires are in good condition and even with good meat on them. The frame was even straitened before wheel alignment. Also both steer slack adjusters were loosened to proper loseness after learning one was too tight. I don't do over 55 or so due to instability and some wobble here n there. Yes its my truck and tie rod ends were replaced too, also, tire pressure is good. What else to do, I don't know. I may check brake adjustment on drives to make sure im not limping and maybe check springs at a spring place to see if i have a weak leaf although mechanics do say springs and kingpins are good. Besides that, don't know where else to look.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  9. great2c4me

May 18, 2015
    Go see Chad at MD alignment in Kansas City. I've gotten 240k out of my last set of steers.
    MD alignment, they have several locations around the nation. Just Google their website for locations.
    it's their specific technique and theory behind their alignment training - MD alignment.

10. safeyankee

safeyankee Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2012
    PA
    Full alignment done all around plus steers were balanced. The truck passed but you're right maybe someone else could get more thorough. I used Custom Bandag in Linden, NJ. Just greased 5th wheel and re-adjusted all brakes im 30% that this will fix issue, I hope it resolves issue.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  11. great2c4me

May 18, 2015
    That's what they say. The problem is, the guys that are utilizing the tools don't know they're supposed to be calibrated almost every week. So to say. It's a whole science that those guys are all after over at MD.
    you can call into his weekly podcast show on Sunday night's. There he takes questions & answer's, etc. He's got a ton of his shows archived if you wanna learn, he even has a book. Kinda crazy, but hey, you'll never be fooled again

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.