Drive axel touches frame? Help!!

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by newdriver2, Apr 17, 2019.

1. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    i was the first to mention springs. what did the frame shop say about the arch of the springs. if you change them change both sides.

newdriver2 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    The shock bolt in this photo doesn't look straight , or photo taken with wide angle phone lens , bents subjects outside the center.
    I know is hard with spending money when you got other priorities with new purchased truck, just a couple of suggestion. This shocks look old, when are like this outside most likely the valving inside is worn out, perhaps leaked oil long ago,, allows damaging road vibrations to shake every bolt ,sensitive AC and electric components.
    The frame doesn't look bad, but needs some paint to keep it under control, if rust develops under the huck bolts, around spring hangers, crossmembers, the entire frame gets lose flimsy. I lost the fight with rust on my first truck, in 6 years driving 5-6 months/year on salted roads and ignored the frame. I used twice por15 paint, i read rust bullet and corroseal is also good., on frame no need for sandblasting, just washed the frame with soapy hot water, remove all grease /oil, scrap, wire rush bulged paint rust, and apply it. This primer paints contain phosphoric or tannic acid chemically reacts with rust converting it in an encapsulating layer, needs an extra finisher layer because are sensitive to ultraviolet light. Oil spray it late fall, before the roads get salted, i use spray cans Krown oil on my truck and cars , it takes one hour to do, you'll find all kind of rust preventive oils, WD40 works.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    newdriver2 Thanks this.
  4. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    after looking all pictures you posted I can say you have ride height problem. You mention the air suspension valve was replaced. Are you 100% sure the valve exactly same as it was before. Volvo uses 100 different styles, sometime the valve looks similar but ports are different. Was the new valve adjusted to keep required ride height ?
    Please picture of the air bags from rear. The torsion bar should be in close to horizontal position (parallel to the axle) to keep axle on center. On the picture you posted I see torsion bar is in angle and pushes axle to one side.
    Here is PDF manual how to check and adjust

Attached Files:

5. Newto Trucking

Newto Trucking Medium Load Member

Dec 26, 2013
    NE Illinois
  6. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I don't think the rear springs are the problem. I have never seen the z type spring with rear mounted bag cause issues unless they break. Granted I am not a volvo guy but several manufacturers use that style spring. They just dont loose their arch like a front leaf will

7. newdriver2

newdriver2 Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2017
    Thanks for the posts,

the shop appointment is tomorrow morning @ 7am -

i think you guys are absolutely right about the ride height being off. I noticed when i hook to a trailer (today 30,000lbs) when the truck rises up the drivetrain slowly moves upword with the air suspension.

- I got back to the yard today an started looking at other volvo vnl series similar to mine... What would the possibilities be that the torsion arms that the dealer sold me a few weeks back be related to this?

every truck on the lot has the big beefed up torsion arms that are ATRI, or ARTI? i dont remember the exact spelling...where as mine are stamped Volvo- and are maybe 1in thick and they even look maybe 1cm shorter than the others with a VERY small bushing inside that is only maybe 1-2cm of rubber - where as every other truck including my old parts were at least half a inch of rubber where the part bolts up

perhaps these torsion bars aren't allowing my drivetrain to flex enough?

I hate to keep throwing parts at this thing. every trip to the dealer they have my vin memorised now.

8. newdriver2

Sep 14, 2017
    thats an awesome pic,

my shock absorbers are older, but the issue is when im at a dead standstill, it bottoms out before i even go anywhere.

- i put a new leveling valve on, also had the old leveling valve inspected/adjusted prior to replacing it

- anything over 35-40,000lbs it bottoms out even with 5th wheel adjusted

- pressure regulator is set at 130psi now, previously it was around 110

- wrong air spring? as in bags? they all are stamped volvo and look oem (if not original lol)

- improper ride height ---- i'm agreeing here

- springs looked fine, didnt see any bends or breaks or abnormal ware after getting under it again today. it seems i spend 6 out of the 7 days under this thing :( drives a man to drink.

Newto Trucking Thanks this.
  9. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    You don't understand how rear suspension is working. Truck air system pressure has nothing to do with rear bags.
    Pressure in rear bags in fully loaded 34000 # is about 56-58 psi. I use my dash gauge as scale. Never get wrong adjustment.
    You need to check rear suspension leveling valve. Disconnect leveling valve rod and move valve arm by hands. Suspension will rise if you move lever up.
    Rear suspension dump switch and solenoid valve, probably suspension in the dumped position all the time.
    Check and replace if needed wear pads in spring hangers. It will move front of differentials down slightly.
    Don't drive truck in current condition as it will destroy U-joints, differential bearings. In worst case broken out driveshaft with very dangerous and expensive consequences.

10. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    well what did the shop say

11. newdriver2

Sep 14, 2017
    Final diagnosis. Someone put the right front torque spring upside down ...

Ruthless, magoo68, PE_T and 4 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.