Drive axel touches frame? Help!!

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by newdriver2, Apr 17, 2019.

1. newdriver2

newdriver2 Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2017
    Passenger side, spring being close to the frame. I do not see any welds or anything on the frame. Cross member looks oem. Frame isn't stretched I'll post more pics

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. newdriver2

Sep 14, 2017
    Down angle same pic as before

Attached Files:

4. newdriver2

Sep 14, 2017
    Only pics of have, these where before and after I sanded down the rear end and painted it, and a side view to show truck looks oem

Attached Files:

5. newdriver2

Sep 14, 2017
    I will check it tomorrow, it's at the shop right now. I did hear air seeping while getting loaded and unloaded. There is play in the leveling valve... Which I bought a new valve and will put on tomorrow.

Truck does not have any air leak anywhere other than the air noise from the leveling valve whole fork lift entering and editing.

I did not hear the air compressor running nonstop while loading or unloading however I did notice while driving my air psi floats from 110-120psi... I changed the air Governor today.

6. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I could be wrong you know. I have not done many of those trucks since about that year model.
    They would sit down on the saddles if all the air leaked out of the bags. The cross member above the joint looks really wrong to me. That could change with wheel base but they still should not contact. Never recall axle contacting frame during normal use.
    Does anyone else have one of these with different brackets as his picture?

newdriver2, 062 and Johny41 Thank this.
  7. newdriver2

Sep 14, 2017
    My mechanic was thinking the torque arm was the cause ? But when I first bought the truck both of my torque arms were shot so I replaced them with OEM ones from Volvo which today I called and verified part number and it was correct...and there is really only one way to install the rod.

Curious if a bad Leaf spring or... Something is out of wack. Alignment ?

There is a local place here that can re-bends the springs

8. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

You want to take it to a shop that specializes in leaf springs. They should be able to tell you right away what’s wrong with it. They may not charge you for a diagnostic.

Torque arms are easy to replace. Don’t pay anyone to change them. Each torque arm is held by 4 bolts. There are two torque arms, one above each drive axle. There is another torque arm under the cab. You may need a flat pry bar to put it back together. Torque the bolts to at least 90 ft. lbs. Then re-torque them again after a full day of driving.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    newdriver2 and Johny41 Thank this.
  9. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Sure looks like air bags are too low judging by the amount of tire above the frame.. ps grease your driveline

BoxCarKidd, newdriver2 and PE_T Thank this.
  10. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Are your airbags oem's?
    Correct part number for your vin?
    How old are they?

newdriver2 and PE_T Thank this.
  11. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I had this problem with my last volvo truck while driving heavy I heard the yoke rubbing against crossmember. This one has different u shape ,higher , aluminium crossmember . I dont remember was the carrier bearing or the air springs were leaking.
    Btw I don't think you can RE torque z springs, they are solid 1 inch thick and torque leaf. They are cheap, about 200$ for Z and 100$ leaf. I replaced all 8 and u bolts 2 weeks ago, for about 2800cadanian$. The only bushing is on torque leaf, they wear in time and i found this leaf cracked hard to see, I took high resolution photos from under and examine photo.
    Perhaps worn or missing sliding pads inside spring hanger can cause this, hope is not the frame bent or twisted,look from behind along frame for waves. That section behind cab is most exposed to fatigue.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    newdriver2 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.