Drive axel touches frame? Help!!

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by newdriver2, Apr 17, 2019.

1. newdriver2

newdriver2 Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2017
    Yes they are all OEM Volvo bags, not sure how old they are.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. newdriver2

Sep 14, 2017
    I've replaced the Spicer bearing thinking that was apart of the issue, it was definitely bad. It did help but it still kisses.

I bought the truck about a month ago and got royally f'ed. I've forked out about 6k now into it and have been out of work almost the whole time (apart from a week on and off total)

Bags look to be OEM maybe even original, looks like the leveling valve is OEM if not original. I'm swapping that today but even still I dont think the drive train should ever be that close to the cross member.

I'm going to check the leafs today. Dealer told me about $235 per rear leaf. Which there is 4.

My only option might be just to take light loads until I save money to figure out what the issue is

Johny41 Thanks this.
  4. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    This is best solution, take it to a shop specialized in frame . I took my last truck to "frame and alignment" north of Wacco, Texas, I-35, there's a yellow truck lifted for advertising . The owner David worked on my truck, the old man knows all tricks, measured frame, driveline angle, found a frame twist put it on rack and straighten it, for about 2500$ if remember .
    There's a good high tech shop called Jossam in Orlando, FL, they have all kind of videos on YouTube specialized in frame alignment problems.

newdriver2 and PE_T Thank this.
  5. newdriver2

Sep 14, 2017
    Inflated and sitting ground is not level twords front of truck. Bags have air.

6. newdriver2

Sep 14, 2017
    Attached

Attached Files:

7. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    The one of the six pics in this post that shows the airbag. That airbag does not look like it is inflated. Your bags should be hard when you press on them with your hand. If all of them are soft like this one, check you leveling valve/rod.

newdriver2, Midnightrider909 and PE_T Thank this.
  8. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    do a rigdig report see if its been turned over. you should have done on before you bought the truck tho.

newdriver2 Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Did anyone EVER grease those U joints?" Those shaft ends and joints look like they were rusted dry since Moses put it together before loading with household goods to leave Egypt thousands of years ago.

Im sorry about picking on such a minor detail, but it caught my attention. That poor truck must have arthritis all the time... maybe that's why she squatted down when it's enough is enough back there.

I see signs of more grease that has slowly dried out since 2007. No one cared enough to love on that poor truck to wipe away the old grease and replace it with fresh.

And that frame tells me no one has given it any love at the Blue Beacon or some such. Bet you some of those bolts are loose enough now to spin by hand. Or opposite rusted to frame pernamently.

newdriver2 Thanks this.
  10. newdriver2

Sep 14, 2017
    Thank you for the laugh. I needed it. The truck has had so many issues I've fixed in the last month the Bill's are out of hand.

x1Heavy and PE_T Thank this.
  11. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Step 1
    buy 4 pressure gauges and put 1 on each airbag.
    Cheap and you can do it yourself.(inside or outside the cab ,as you see fit)
    Will rule out any fault with the airsupply to the bags.
    Step 2
    The plate above the axle,fixed to the frame with the 2 bolts,is there rubber or rubber traces on bottom off them?
    My geuss is they are stopblocks .
    [​IMG]

newdriver2 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.