Drive choice

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by towdriver, Mar 2, 2013.

1. towdriver

towdriver Bobtail Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Muskoka, Ontario, Canada
    We are looking to replace our heavy wrecker with a new one. We found an already built one but they are asking way more then the truck and wrecker are worth. Throwing ideas around about building our own if the deal falls through. We know it will be a tri-axle. Now the question is do we go with a tandem drive with spif lift (new lift axle that steers required by law on all lifts in Ontario) or with a tri-drive. I have never had any experience with tri-drive trucks but have posts with pulling trucks out of the ditch due to spif axles. One problem with the spif axle is that the drive has no control over it so can't lift it if needed. Does anyone have a tri-drive and if so how do you like/dislike it? How are they for turning at slow speeds?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    I do not own one, but a guy in town has a brand new T800 with a tri-drive. He runs Michigan/Ontario pulling coil trains and he said it works fine. He sets his cruise around 65mph and go's..... I know with a wrecker, you won't be seeing highway speeds often, so i don't see the problem with it except for turning situations and getting into tight spots. But again, your truck will be used for service and not over the road applications or long haul.

4. billandlori

billandlori Medium Load Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Stratford, Ontario, Canada
    When running up past North Bay, many of the bush trucks have tri-drives. The things are like tanks, they just keep going through really sloppy stuff!!!These are mostly KW/Pete/Star's. Without the diff locks engaged, they seem to turn just fine, even in softer ground.

It seems to me the tri-drive would be a real asset to a tow rig.

We run the SPIF lift axles on our four axle trailers. They are not bad when the reversing switch works. When that screws up, you have to get out and throw the switch to lift the axle or the wheels go full turn as you back up. Sometimes if you hit a pothole on one side it will set up a weird left/right steering cycle like a "tank slapper" on a motorcycle. You have to come to a full stop then carry on. Progress eh???

Good luck with the new rig!!

Bill

SHC Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.