Drive for XPO

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Leif Apag, Apr 8, 2020.

1. LTL Bull

LTL Bull Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2020
    I'm still waiting to know if he's XPO LTL or some other division. Heck of a lot of container haulers with XPO on the door in my neck of the woods

snowlauncher and stillwurkin Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I parked my own truck and tried CCX it was a division of Consolidated Freightways, think was in the late 80's early 90's. A friend worked there and he loved it. So went down and got hired on. Dock work then drive to another DC and dock work again. Slip seat most every night. Crappy low powered pos trucks, for the most part. Remember on in particular was a damp dreary night, kinda cold out. Put heat on, and the stink from the heat was gross. Sorta of a mix of body order mixed with dash of flatulence. Just not for me..but everyone is different. Which is all good.

Arod1098 and EuropeanTrucker Thank this.
  4. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    They have a intermodal division. Just in name only, and probably connected by the suit and tie guys somewhere. Far as i know.

snowlauncher Thanks this.
  5. Arod1098

Arod1098 Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2021
    It’s typical freight driving work. Down here in Palm Beach Fl. All the freight companies require dock work and day/night work. Except fedex freight. They don’t touch freight, just drive.

6. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    From what I understand Con-way freight was a non-union entity that branched off from Consolidated Freightways. They managed to stay afloat for several more years after CF shut down, then they were purchased by Bradley Jacobs of XPO.

stillwurkin Thanks this.
  7. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    I can almost guarantee FedEx Freight linehaul drivers work the dock. Company policy requires dock work on runs shorter than 200 miles each way. The West Palm Beach terminal is well under 200 miles from the Orlando hub.

stillwurkin Thanks this.
  8. snowlauncher

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    I my run is 260 mi. each way and more often than not, I'm going to be expected to spend an hour or two on the dock. It makes for a long shift, especially when we deal with winter road conditions, but it makes for a decent pay settlement...

9. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    That’s nuts. My run is around there too but I get paid to take a nap until my trailers are closed.

10. snowlauncher

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    You drive for FXF, I assume by your profile pic. I have heard they are one of a very few LTL companies who don't require drivers to work the dock, and pay for wait times as well.
    I know that O.D. Freight doesn't pay their drivers for wait times at the dock. At XPO, not all drivers are expected work the dock each day, but many are... It's just part of the culture here. It goes all the way back to the days of Con-way freight. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me from a cost standpoint when top tier drivers make around $30/hr, and dock laborers are starting at about half of that wage. Seems like the drivers should be paid to drive and the dock workers should be responsible for loading/unloading. They would probably save money, but their loss is my financial gain.

jmz Thanks this.
  11. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    I think I accidentally made FxF sound better than it actually is. Don't get me wrong, it's a great company, but drivers who get paid to wait for their trailers are in the minority. It's all about location. Anyone with a round trip of 475 miles or more gets paid delay, 401-474 miles isn't forced to the dock but doesn't get paid delay, and 400 or less is forced to the dock. One of the problems is because we're so big, we have a lot of terminals very close to each other, which results in many people driving a short distance to the hub and driving a forklift longer than they drive a truck. Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Memphis are just a few examples that have at least FOUR locations all in the same city, and there's many others cities that have two or more.

I agree it's insane that they'd prefer to pay drivers $30/hr to work the dock instead of reworking the system to use lower paid dock workers and have less drivers make more turns. We just got a new CEO who started at the bottom in the glory days of AF and worked his way up, so I'm hopeful that he'll make some changes for the better.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.