Drive tires. Decisions, decisions.

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by mudflap77, Dec 24, 2019.

1. mudflap77

mudflap77 Heavy Load Member

Oct 11, 2010
    South western Ontario
    Good morning and Merry Christmas everyone.
    Well it is looking like my truck will be getting a new set of drives for Xmas. Having a hard time deciding between Michelin XDN2 and the X multi energy D.
    Is there anyone out there running the X multi in this frozen land we call Canada? How are they on ice and in snow? I'm running tandem van. Mostly highway, state side, prairie provinces, and Ontario.

Swine hauler and BigHossVolvo Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    I have XDN2's also, my favorite tire. However I always get those comments of "you know how much fuel those use?". I ran Xline Energy D Drives on company trucks, and they were literally death, so the X Muilti Energy D seems like the Answer. Our company trucks, and about 5 O/O's run them, most say the traction is good, and the fuel mileage is just as good as the Xline Energy D. However, if you're alignment isn't 100% perfect (MD Alignment style) they have LOTS of funky wear and cupping. The majority of the fleet still runs XDN2's, and not one truck has a wear problem. I will prob get 600 000kms out of mine with an MD alignment and Centramatics all around (religious on air pressure).

About 2-3 guys got a deal on the Hankook Flex DL12's, and really seem to like those, but no idea of wear numbers.

Michelin says the X Multi Energy D has 12% better rolling resistance VS the XDN2 in a G 14 ply. However you can get the XDN2 in a H 16 ply (what I have) which I think rolls better. Overall the XDN2's have never failed me, and I've gotten through some insane storms, deep snow, bobtailing between Brandon and WPG during a storm, City work with unp-lowed roads, freezing rain on top of black ice, never stuck, slipping or ever out of control.

86scotty, 6rider, Swine hauler and 2 others Thank this.
  4. mudflap77

Oct 11, 2010
    South western Ontario
    Thanks for the response,
    No doubt the XDN2 are a great tire. I see there are 2 versions now. The XDN2 and the XDN2 Grip. The grip version I think is the original tread. The XDN2 has pretty much the same RR as the Goodyear POS I have now. According to the Michelin calculator the Multi energy will save roughly $1000 in fuel a year over the XDN2 and what I have now. Definitely worth looking into but not worth going in the ditch for.
    As far as driving in bad weather I would rather park. I realize the day can start out beautiful and change quickly, I just don't want to be parking because there's a 1/64" of snow lol.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    Swine hauler Thanks this.
  5. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Yea for a $1000 bux I wouldn't switch, just because of the wear issues I've seen with other tires VS the XDN2s. Even the Xline Energy D's were bald at 425 000 on my buddies identical truck to mine, while i'm at 300K with over half the starting depth.

If it was $1000/mo, I would be thinking of switching. The other thing is XDN2's work in the mud, wet grass, deep slush etc etc. Some of these old dirt trailer lots/dock can get pretty greasy in the rain.

The XDN2 grip has 3/32 more tread depth, and more RR than the XDN2's.

6. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    2E8FAD91-BD2D-47D6-8F25-C2DF4F852A81.jpeg

What are you guys paying for them ...?

7. MX127

MX127 Bobtail Member

Dec 24, 2019
    Installed 10 Continental HDL2 ECO Plus Line Hauls this month. Running centramatics both steers and drives, so far so good, plush ride and a good road feel. Rear 32/32 depth, good for Midwest lake effect snow. Too soon to say how they'll hold up, running 120psi front and rear.

mudflap77 Thanks this.
  8. MX127

MX127 Bobtail Member

Dec 24, 2019
    HDL2 EP

mudflap77 Thanks this.
  9. mudflap77

Oct 11, 2010
    South western Ontario
    I priced out the regular XDN2 through a national account @ about $450US plus installation. Didn't ask about the XDN2 grip

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  10. mudflap77

Oct 11, 2010
    South western Ontario
    Current set is Goodyear 572 LHD. Closed shoulder tire. In the 3.5 years I have had no traction issues put did have wear issues but I pretty much decided that was caused by rim problems

11. mudflap77

Oct 11, 2010
    South western Ontario
    Well the $1000/yr in fuel savings will almost pay for the tires alone. Even if they wear out quicker. Playing around in some of them muddy yards in that sticky western mud does give me some concerns. Although I have not had any problems with my closed shoulder GY

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.