DriveCam....

Discussion in 'Millis' started by Cooper09, Apr 29, 2013.

1. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    Isn't Millis self insured?
    Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nicknack

nicknack Light Load Member

Aug 3, 2013
    I do believe so, being self insured is kinda complex according to what I've read seems like it's another way to save money while still trying to protect your assets, your saving a certain amount to protect against foreseeable losses

4. L.B.

L.B. Third Generation Truck Driver

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    all self insured means is that until Millis meets their deductible, which I think is $500,000, they pay all claims out of pocket. They are still underwritten by an insurance company. Just look at the insurance info in the truck to see the company name.

5. nicknack

nicknack Light Load Member

Aug 3, 2013
    Thanks for the clarification L.B

6. Solo_Seat

Solo_Seat Medium Load Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    I thought that being self insured meant you insured yourself but an actual insurance company administered your policy. That's why the insurance company's name is on the policy.

7. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    My company has these cameras in some of their trks and receive critical events and of course gets called into safety.Sounds like a lot of bugs need to be worked out and I think safety should ride with a driver to see if when they get a critical event if they would actually consider that so critical.

8. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    No lies in those statements , just not properly explained or understood.
    Those statement have to be qualified.
    In short it is always recording but also always erasing what it is recording.
    The only time the recording is not automatically erased with out ever being watched by anyone is when there is an event triggered by the G force meter limit being exceeded.
    The device then instead of automatically erasing what was recorded stores about 12 seconds (Drivecam) of the recording.
    8 seconds before the event and 4 seconds after.
    This is what people get to see.

9. Baritone

Baritone Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    L.B is correct. We are self insured for a certain amount (possibly 500K) and then if there are claims above that, a Insurance carrier will then step in. All this does is allow for lower insurance premiums for the company which in most cases makes sense in the long run.

10. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    The only way they can tell is if there is an event the exceeds the G force threshold of the device and a video clip is stored.
    If during this time a driver is not wearing a seat belt or talking on a cell not using bluetooth then they will obviously be able to see this.
    If there are no events triggered then there is no telling.
    The idea of the device is to show when things are going wrong and this is the only time an event is viewed by anyone.
    It might not fit the big brother theory but it is the truth.

Hegemeister Thanks this.
  11. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    Well while he/she was texting something happened that caused the G forces in the truck to exceed what is normal.
    Harsh turning , braking or a big bump/pothole in the road.
    This recording was then stored instead of being erased.
    It was then viewed and the driver was observed texting.
    The truth is that while texting a driver will be more likely to drive erratically triggering an event.
    That is the reason it is illegal.

Hegemeister Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.