Driver Facing Cameras

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Chuck Humbuckers, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    “You scratched your ### and the driver speeding hit you, but you could have avoided it if you had both hands on the wheel”
    -some scum bag lawyer looking for a paycheck

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Team818

Team818 Medium Load Member

May 5, 2019
    mesilla valley trans. had a camera facing inward, but it was recording the entire cab, it was actually pointing at the Sleeper. Not kidding. They had wide angle lenses so they were trying to record the driver or in my case and wife. That inward facing camera was a distraction to be honest, plus its recording your conversations as well. Think of it as when you start your truck a Face Time converstion is running while you drive and up to 15 mins after you turn the key off. So at the Fuel Island, anytime you turn the key on, when the guages are clicking beeping, that camera starts and runs for 15 mins, minimum after you turn off the key. So, Make sure you are fully covered. I am serious. Restarting the ELD/Qualcom, whatever, the camera is on for 15 min, audio too.
    It was almost as bad as the trailer tails on the trailers, mesilla had those ridiculous tails too. Another hassel and a half. Won't work for a company with those either. Been there done that. Too many other choices for jobs.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    Reason for edit: correction needed.
    Trucker61016 and Chuck Humbuckers Thank this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Look guys, here is what I was told when I met with the insurance underwriters a couple years back.

They said that driver facing cameras are useful to reduce insurance liabilities.

one of them said the fact that we have so many bad drivers, it would be a good idea that all companies adapt them before it is forced on them. This is a person who was a former driver and knows what a bad driver is.

these companies hire anyone to fill their seat, and if you haven’t seen what’s going on while on the road, open your eyes and see what has been getting worst.

by the way, I pay a higher insurance cost because that is one thing I refuse to do, no driver facing cameras for any reason.

5. Team818

May 5, 2019
    Ask about both of these when you are talking to a company recruiter. They DO NOT tell you first. Its like opps. What else didn't they tell me. You know the feeling? The inward facing camera and the trailer tails are a liability for the driver. You will find out like I did. They are not necessary.

6. Team818

May 5, 2019
    I can understand them in taxis, city, town, hospital mini buses, school buses, greyhound, etc, that totally understandable. We don't need the inward facing cameras in the CMV's. I will not work for a company that has those. If you are that concerned get one of your Own Cameras. Then you can keep the files it records not some company that is just spying on the Drivers. Thats not good. Do not work for a company like that.

Reason for edit: adjustments made.
    Chuck Humbuckers Thanks this.
  7. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Well you may need a shower if your scratching your ### lol....so you don't think that when the investigate they wouldn't check out the other driver too? I would think the camera would moreso expose those drivers who slam into stopped traffic or run off the road, or something catastrophic like that. I guess from the company's standpoint, they would say choose a better opportunity to scratch your ### lol.....those drivers that text and drive would definitely get exposed

Chuck Humbuckers Thanks this.
  8. Team818

May 5, 2019
    Drivers will bail on those driver facing cameras too. More of shortage. Swift switched back to outward facing cams after many drivers bailed. They were probably going to leave anyways, but these cameras rushed that along. So, they switched back. So did werner I was told. Losing to many drivers.

Its to commie, and too intrusive. Not necessary.

Reason for edit: Wanted to add to the content.
    Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Then they need to get rid of the ones that can’t be trusted.

10. JSanborn103

JSanborn103 Medium Load Member

Jan 20, 2021
    They need em in those white Volvo’s. I saw one the other day on her phone, she drove over the shoulder into the grass and swerved back into the highway. When I passed her she was still playing on her phone.

Trucker61016 and Savor the Flavor Thank this.
  11. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    Look at the Werner guy who got sued because another vehicle lost control ran across the media and killed themselves with the drivers truck. That person won the lawsuit against Werner despite the truck driver doing everything correct
    I just don’t see any possible way for a driver facing camera to help the driver

Trucker61016 and Chuck Humbuckers Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.