Driver-made bulkheads

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by IluvCATS, Nov 25, 2017.

1. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Have timber and chain bulkheads ever really saved the day? I build them but often wonder how effective they would really be again a sudden load shift. I don’t know.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Where would you need something like that, save perhaps on poorly loaded steel where you'd have to worry about part of the load walking out?

4. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    That’s what I’m asking. Do they ever save a life as the last thing to stop steel or a coil?

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Structural steel, perhaps. But I can't see that stopping a coil. That is a hell of a lot of kinetic energy.

luddybuddy and IluvCATS Thank this.
  6. Naptown

Naptown Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    They helped me out a lot when i did mixed steel loads and had lots of bundles of varying sizes. No matter how hard you work to get everything tight, sometimes one would work loose. It was always a nice safeguard for just in case.

They were definitely a must when I had on cold finished bars. That stuff is slick enough it doesn't need a hard brake to slip everywhere, no matter how well it's secured.

Joetro, MrEd, MACK E-6 and 1 other person Thank this.
  7. Cummins_444

Cummins_444 Medium Load Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Northwest, IN
    Yep they work. Haul greasy steel bars. Build the bulkhead then load up against it. Choke the load. In a hard brake situation you still might crack the bulkhead, but done properly should move very little.

8. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Can't remember their name but, There's a place down in St.Louis that ships those 20 foot greasy steel bars that require 2 Bulkheads,Because they wont load it Belly for safety reasons...........

then after you set up 2 bulkheads- You gotta drop paper......#### pain in the Butt for a Broker load comin back to Chicago for a measly $700 bucks,, boy Do I remember that so well

baha Thanks this.
  9. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    A bulkhead isn't supposed to "catch" a moving load, it's supposed to prevent it from moving in the first place. It's a "block against forward movement". Not having the load touching it will only slow down whatever starts moving through it.

10. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    I have kinda wondered why flat beds don't have stake pockets welded to the trailer beams every couple feet running down the middle of the bed.

Than have a movable bulkhead that could be tied back from the top running down to the side pockets.

That way you can prevent the energy from being built up in a deceleration and seems the only practical way to manage slippery steel.

11. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.