Driver Retention

Discussion in 'Knight' started by JimDriv3r, Sep 26, 2010.

1. JimDriv3r

JimDriv3r Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Is
    Usually when I run into another Knight driver, I naturally try to hold a conversation and ask questions, specifically their time with the company. Most of the drivers that I've met were pretty decent people. The weird thing is when I ask how long they've been with the company, the answer is always the same: "Oh, I just started a few weeks ago."

So my question is this: Where are all of the other drivers hiding that's been with the company for a long time? My luck can't be THAT weird! 100% of the Knight drivers that I talk to are new to the company. Come out, come out wherever you are!!!

Surely you guys couldn't have quit already! The fun is just getting started!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. thelastamericanhippy

thelastamericanhippy Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    jacksonville, fl
    Most folks hate to admit their ignorance !!!

4. JimDriv3r

JimDriv3r Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Is
    Please explain.

5. Gitty

Gitty Medium Load Member

Jul 16, 2009
    in my truck
    Most cant cut it. Quit
    Some have accidents. Fired
    Tickets going down hills wide open. Fired
    Spouse cant handle it. Quit
    Decided it was better to team. Quit
    Wanted a smaller toy cause they got scared. Quit
    Blood pressure skyrocketed from stress. Quit or blew up
    Cholesterol soared from crappy food, in the hospital. On medical leave

applebrown78 and bigblue19 Thank this.
  6. tracyq144

tracyq144 Heavy Load Member

Feb 15, 2009
    MN
    In all honesty, it seems that the drivers I randomly talk to have either just started with Knight in the past few months, OR they have been with them for years. Not many in-between.

I would imagine most larger companies are like that, most fall by the wayside for various reasons (ala Gitty), some stick it out.

7. OverDrive

OverDrive "A Watchman on the Walls"

Very simple. Knight burns them out!

The 5 yrs that I worked for Knight as an Express driver out of Phx, I averaged a new DM about every 3 mos. Many got burned out and quit within a month---all but 2 out of the approx 20 DM's I had (5yrs at an avg of a new DM every 3 mos) had no transportation industry experience, aka were mostly recent 22 yo college grads.

There were some drivers who managed to 'keep' a good DM for a year or so, and profited from that DM's experience in how to 'run the system'' I.e. so as to keep DM friends in other terms; and, thereby managing to always get their drivers miles/good loads, and as a result, keep good, loyal drivers who would go the extra mile for them.

But that was the exception, and the naive, inexperienced burned-out college DM was the norm...

8. tracyq144

tracyq144 Heavy Load Member

Feb 15, 2009
    MN
    That's the key, right there. I have no doubt that I would "probably" leave if my DM ever leaves, for whatever reason.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.