Driver retention

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by REALITY098765, Nov 21, 2021.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

No. The future emplyee (driver looking for a job) decides if the ABC Trucking pay & benefits are acceptable to him. 90% of the prospects & newbies coming into trucking want to get a free CDL and get paid starting today and then start B.M. & C. that the bottom of the barrell company THEY picked pay is low, home time is scarce, and has a broken truck. They won't research, ignore warnings, and want the govt to solve all of their problems.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

It seems some companies will not raise pay but simply find drivers in poorer or more crime-ridden countries where making $500/week is more than everyone in the 5 nearest villages combined. Drivers have no power because you can "make a new driver" in 3 weeks. Trucking companies have little power because even the mega company has less than 10% of the capacity he could withhold from a bad customer. It's like one rain drop going on strike tn a hurricane.

dwells40 and spindrift Thank this.
  4. tscottme

My customer, when I worked for hourly pay, charged the party responsible for a production line stoppage thousands of dollars per minute. The owner of the supplier causing a delay would show up if I had to wait over 1 hour because it would cost him days to weeks of revenue. The whole world of business isnt like the skid-row reefer side of trucking.

ZVar and gentleroger Thank this.
  5. tscottme

I was hourly for 18 years. It's not a solution for everything. You get rid of some problems and receive other problems to replace them. But since drivers are regulated by hours, we have electronic monitoring of those hours, and instant commumication of that data in real-time hourly pay removes a lot of dishonesty that all sides of the steering wheel have depended on for generations.

6. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Or do a "jetset" program to fly poors in from economically depressed areas because they don't want to pay the area's prevailing wage.

Tug Toy and tscottme Thank this.
  7. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    I always read those dumb posts about young people not wanting to work... don't be jealous that they're not falling for the dumb stuff you did. If enough of them stand up where you didn't, some actual changes might happen in the industry, rather than a bunch of dopes puffing out their chests and acting like they're hardcore for getting duped by corporations. Lmfao

scott180, sventvkg, Plantfoam and 9 others Thank this.
  8. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    It's not right on any level that this industry largely does not pay overtime. End of story. I will not watch you do your contortions and mental gymnastics to make it sound like I'm wrong. The end.

9. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    My last hourly pay job still had drivers that would flat out rob the company by working and driving as slow as they possibly could. The company knew what they were doing (driving at 55mph on empty 70mph highways etc) but were powerless to stop it.

Whenever job performance came up, driver ran to the union, claimed he was being forced to drive in a manner he felt was unsafe and the company would back down.

Even with 30 hrs OT at the busiest times when I was local, I still make more doing OTR/CPM. Sure it would be nice to have every working hour paid, but I don't want to trade bigger paychecks for "all time worked, being paid".

10. REALITY098765

REALITY098765 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2017
    I'd rather have a drop and hook job in Texas on mileage in an 85 mph truck.
    If I am in NYC I want to be on hourly.
    The main problem seems to be waiting time.

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.