Driver retention

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by REALITY098765, Nov 21, 2021.

1. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    There are some shippers/receivers who don't care about detention charges, they simply refuse to pay it, I watch my bosses deal with that all the time, we have some customers that refuse to pay detention charges, and we'll hold the load in the yard, racking up storage charges, until the agree to pay. But, that only works for companies that can be aggressive about it, not everyone can.

See my above comment

It goes back to the aggressiveness of the trucking company to charge it and collect it. We give two hours built in to our rate, anything beyond that is detention ($100 to $200 per hour depending on the customer/broker) and all driver assists have no free time, detention is charged immediately. If they know they are going to be charged, yeah, 80% will rush to get it done, I've been bumped ahead of other drivers because they know we will charge for the delay, and I've had customers shrug their shoulders and say "who cares, we won't pay it", yeah, they will, one way or another.

Snow Hater, tscottme and Pamela1990 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Yep.

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  4. Pamela1990

Pamela1990 Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada
    By the time I scale in at the mill, park, take my wrappers off, and roll them up, the loader better be already unloading my truck. Didn't happen once last winter, so I walked over, climbed in and unloaded myself. Hasn't happened since. They can see me pulling in, and it takes me about 6 minutes to get ready for the loader after i enter the scale yard. If they can't have their #### together in 6 minutes, then they should find different employment. Walmart needs door greeters. If I show up on their lunch break, no problem, I don't mind unloading myself. But if it isn't lunch time, wtf is your problem. If I beat the loader man to the bush in the morning, no concern, I load myself. If it happens often enough, it is my guess they hear from the boss. Time wasters can get the hell out of my way, there is work to be done.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    nredfor88, JoeyJunk, spindrift and 2 others Thank this.
  5. tscottme

That generation isn't being strategic. They just are not willing to put down the game controller, pot, or get a callus.

RockinChair and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  6. tscottme

The industry is exempt from the overtime pay requirement. Look up "FLSA + transportation industry". It's in black & white.

RockinChair and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  7. Pamela1990

Pamela1990 Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada

My friends and I strongly disagree.

Still undecided and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  8. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Well you gotta do SOMETHING while the federal minimum wage hasnt changed in 13 years. :)

May as well do something fun while your dreams of home ownership die in a haze of corporations who have found it cheaper to send their production overseas and ship it here on giant boats. :) :)

9. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Oh, I know it's in black and white. I just think that whoever PUT it in black and white should have been locked in prison.

Then again, maybe they did that back when it was laughably inconceivable for a business that involves the operation of heavy machinery to pay anywhere NEAR the federal minimum wage, so who would need overtime, ANYWAY, right?

Trucking CEOs: hold my beer.

10. tscottme

It happened in 1934, IIRC. As a rule horse whippingveveryone in DC is a good idea. We should do it everytime we change the clocks, if not daily at noon.

dwells40, Pamela1990 and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  11. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Try "hold my 200 year old single malt sctoch that tastes like a diaper but I drink it because it's expensive" instead.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.