Driver retention

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by REALITY098765, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    And minimum wage was never meant to be an independent living wage.
    It is a starting wage for kids just getting into the workforce, or a wage for a retired person who is working part time for some extra income.

It is a stepping stone to the higher wage jobs that come with more education and/or experience.

Increasing that minimum always has the same results.
    Higher costs for everything.
    So the net result is that the higher costs negate the wage increase in the end.
    Minimum is still the minimum, and it will never be enough for an independent living wage.

One definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result.
    ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    @Drunk Trucker said minimum wage, not living wage. Please don't conflate the two.

And FWIW, anyone who's working for minimum wage needs to be going to school or at least working two jobs, and should get a roommate to help split living expenses.

Pamela1990 and tscottme Thank this.
  4. REALITY098765

REALITY098765 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Min wage x's the hours from getting to the truck to parking it. It's all part of the job.
    Yes I know somebody will do it cheaper or pay to work
    I did the math on your equation and it comes to $1,275.00 A nd that's assuming the driver ''only'' worked 70 hrs. What it would be in real time IDK.

5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Sometimes people like to compare all of the time they are away from home. I don't think expecting to be paid to sleep or commute is reasonable. Few if any other jobs pay employees for the time they sleep or commute. The more honest and useful calculation should divide the pay by the Drive+On-Duty time.

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  6. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    As i said in another thread, take 1 week of your logs, total up all hours from line 3 and 4. AND BE REALISTIC on your ODND line 4 time. Then, divide your gross by your hours working to see what your pay per hour would be.
    How does it compare to the pay per hour jobs in your local area?

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  7. REALITY098765

Sep 17, 2017
    The commute I'll give you but sleep not ,
    At any other job I get to go home and sleep in my own bed, with a good mattress and not in a cubicle. and vibrating, washroom etc,etc,. maybe with benefits. and a shower I don't pay extra for and properly cleaned. A proper meal that 's a LOT cheaper. Please don't give me OH I make my meals at home, that's part of the job also.
    I just don't get why somebody think's you ''should'' give away services so somebody else can profit, That's just ludicrous. It should be a business for a driver too.

The local steel mill they get paid a meal allowance after 10 hrs. Also the punch clock is at the gate so the walking time is on the clock.
    Even crews that work on the road, maybe don't get paid to sleep per se, but get an allowance for being away from home.
    Maybe we should start a thread on the ''all in'' pay structure for l/o's and how the company gets 30% of YOUR expenses.

Still undecided Thanks this.
  8. Pamela1990

Pamela1990 Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada
    Paid for meals, and sleep, seems over the top.

9. REALITY098765

Sep 17, 2017
    If they are done at home I agree. On the road if you supply a motel room sure. but I don't agree some kind of compensation is over the top for sleeping in a bunk. Meals are a lot more expensive on the road.
    Why is there such a driver shortage now?

10. Pamela1990

Pamela1990 Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada

No driver shortage around me. We got another resume just this week.

11. REALITY098765

Sep 17, 2017
    LOL why you accepting resumes then?
    IDK sounds ironic to me. Just saying.:);)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.