Driver shortage or special breed?!?!

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Suffy Transport, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Davidsti1

Davidsti1 Bobtail Member

May 30, 2015
    Oh my, you really think and believe that $1100 per week (or less smh)for a car hauler is amazing pay?? WOW just WOW.
    If a car hauler don’t clear $2000 a week it’s a low paying job.

WildTiger1990 and skinnytrucker Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 389Trucker

389Trucker Light Load Member

Mar 12, 2015
    I'm just wondering if companies out there would invest in a new cdl driver to become a auto hauler. Someone who is willing to put in the work and stay out for long periods of time, have safety on their mind, and be a asset to the company. In exchange for the company giving you quality training and nice equipment. Anyone heard of this before?

4. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I take home that much after taxes, medical, dental, and other deductions each week... 100% no touch freight, I choose when I go on the road and when I'm home, I get home every week... Oh yeah, I slam doors.

No way I would haul cars for that kind of $$$

Western flyer Thanks this.
  5. Muskyman734

Muskyman734 Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2019
    Cassens is taking them straight out of school and training but there not out for long periods of time, they are slip seat barely making 1100 a week

389Trucker Thanks this.
  6. Suffy Transport

Suffy Transport Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2019
    Joplin, MO

I personally do not know of any companies. I just know that our insurance is very strict and rejects anyone with less then 24 months unfortunately.

389Trucker Thanks this.
  7. Old one

Old one Bobtail Member

Apr 24, 2018

8. Old one

Old one Bobtail Member

Apr 24, 2018
    Couple of things to consider. How many miles are these guys doing a week to have 2 - 3 days off, and how many dollars per mile is each rig accumulating? Based on the $1100 driver payout at a 25% rate with a 5 - 7 car trailer and given the number of miles my driver would do in the time allowed (it's not all drive time, you have loading and unloading time as you well know) I'm guessing your rigs gross about $2 per mile for a load. That's low for car hauling in that size trailer. I'm in the $.50 to $.60 range per car ($3 - $4 per mile) even when I have to use Central Dispatch. I understand the problems associated with short runs as I have a full dispatch service in house and face these same challenges, but I'm thinking your low numbers are due to dispatch issues. I also run the same size trailers (weight issues) but have decided to go with experienced drivers/car haulers who want to be owner operators and I am leasing them a fully equipped rig along with my dispatching, my Authority Insurance, my advice and and my knowledge to assist them in making as much money as possible. They become full owners of the rig in 2 - 3 years so they become business owners instead of employees or subhuman Independent Contractors. In my opinion trying to get competent, reliable, honest (lots of cash involved) people to do the kind of work we do is only going to get harder. And you're not going to get them as employees or Independent Contractors. The last "driver" I had made $5000 about every 12 to 14 days and then didn't want to work anymore until his money ran out the next month. Meanwhile, the insurance, truck/trailer payments, replacement of supplies and maintenance rolled on. By opting to offer a driver an owner position they then make more money but also incur the responsibilities of being in charge of their destiny. Just my 2 cents.

9. Nobroker

Nobroker Medium Load Member

Jul 1, 2016
    I think Trump did not u derstand there is a difference between helping trucker and helping the trucking industry. All this deregulation and we get more along with lower wages.
    Fleets turn to immigration programs to find truck drivers

Auctiongirl and 28 Thank this.
  10. Nobroker

Nobroker Medium Load Member

Jul 1, 2016
    If your trucks are doing 20k in 12-14 days you are blessed , i havent had a single 2 week run like that in atleast 4 years if that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.