Driver Shortage rant

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Stn4Cap, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Stn4Cap

Stn4Cap Bobtail Member

May 23, 2011
    Eastern Ontario
    I just read yet another article about the so-called driver shortage here in Canada. If there is such a shortage, why is it that companies aren't snapping up anyone with a licence?
    I have been driving truck for the last 13 years. My abstract and CVOR are spotless. I've never had a ticket or accident. I'm not bragging, just stating fact.
    I left a company that I had been with for 10 years because I needed out of the "grocery game". That was my choice. I was hired by a petroleum hauler, where I found out, like my boss told me, "this job isn't for everyone". I left there on good terms, but would not go back. He was right, it wasn't for me. Good on the guys that do it!
    I was hired by a local guy hauling grain. Great job! Loved it. Short haul, home daily, weekends off, excellent boss. Only problem is, VERY seasonal. I tried talking him into expanding a bit to keep the truck moving all year, but, in his words, "I really don't want to run a trucking company". He runs a successful business and the truck was purchased cheap to assist his customers when they were "stuck" for trucking their commodity. Nothing has moved since just before Christmas.
    I knew that, and all along, I had been on the search. Job bank, Kijiji, indeed, wowjobs, all the spots where jobs would be advertised. I have been around this industry since I was born. I know a few of the ins and outs. I've watched it get worse and keep hearing my grandfathers words, "trucking ain't what it used to be".
    I have applied to numerous ads. In the area of 50. I have heard back from maybe 10. I have learned that, in Ontario anyway, Kijiji is used by mostly shady companies. I emailed an ad on Kijiji from a certain eastern based company with orange and black trucks. The response that I got back was plain ignorant. I actually emailed him back and thanked him for making up my mind so quickly and that he was a poor rep for that company.
    I interviewed for a small flatdeck company and got the job. That was over a month ago and haven't turned a wheel yet. I've given up on that.
    My point is, companies advertise and yet when they have a qualified driver apply, they ignore them. I refuse to work for peanuts. Now I could go to a mega carrier but at this point in my life, I feel I deserve better. Am I crazy to think like that?
    Driver shortage is an urban myth!!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sarabeara

Sarabeara Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2012
    Recently, I noticed on CTV in the morning - they were reporting on driver shortage. I know there are a lot of other links on here of drivers including myself who dont support "importing" any more drivers. I am very sorry you are being jerked around.
    I wish the politicians could be in our shoes.

Stn4Cap, kerosene jockey and snafu Thank this.
  4. Calspring

Calspring Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Canada
    It is definitely an urban myth. There isn't a shortage of drivers, there is a shortage of quality jobs. There are more than enough positions out there just none you want to take. It sucks for sure but just keep on trying. The good positions don't open up often because the drivers that have them usually know it and wont give it up because they know it could be a bit before they find another good one.

Stn4Cap, Tam_Tam and Slick900 Thank this.
  5. Stn4Cap

Stn4Cap Bobtail Member

May 23, 2011
    Eastern Ontario
    Couldn't have said it better myself!

6. Tam_Tam

Tam_Tam Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Recently experienced a job search through junk. Junk work at poor rates with no incentives. I'm staying where I am until it is time to leave what I have loved like no other work because there will be no place worth changing for and cost of living and maintenance will overcome earnings potential.

7. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill Heavy Load Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Alberta
    You just contradicted yourself. You said "there's no shortage of drivers" then followed that up with "There are more than enough positions out there just none you want to take". "more than enough positions" suggests more positions than drivers. However, your point is correct, there is no shortage of drivers looking for that $100,000/yr job driving 8 hours a day, 5 days a week home every night. I don't think there is a shortage of "license holders" (they are a dime a dozen) but "drivers" willing to do the work can sometime be in short supply. A case in point is in the OP "I was hired by a petroleum hauler, where I found out, like my boss told me, "this job isn't for everyone". I left there on good terms, but would not go back. He was right, it wasn't for me." If that truck is still sitting without a driver, THAT's a driver shortage regardless of how many people are out there, unemployed with a CDL.

TexasTailTwister Thanks this.
  8. Stn4Cap

Stn4Cap Bobtail Member

May 23, 2011
    Eastern Ontario
    To a point, you are right. The company had trouble filling that position prior to and after me. I was told that there were quite a few applicants, the fact was that the company was "looking for the right person". I have to agree with them, I wouldn't put just anyone in a fuel truck. There is a certain level of training that you need.
    I am not looking for the 8-5 $100000/yr weekends off job. My original point was, I have experience and clean records, and yet I'm finding it difficult to hear back from companies. When you look at a majority of the ads, they say experience required 0-1 yr or 3-5 yrs, etc. I'm thinking that a lot of companies don't want to look at a person with a few years under their belt because they may have "bad habits" or don't do things the way one company wants them done. I know certain places like to train people their way.
    I applied to a company and was told I needed to get my medical updated. I have and sent it in. Haven't heard back. It pisses me off because I thought they were interested. If you aren't, don't lead a person on.
    I guess maybe I'm expecting more from an industry that has been offering less all along.

kerosene jockey Thanks this.
  9. Tam_Tam

Mar 19, 2012
    Edmonton, Alberta
    We don't band together and are separated by the nature of our work. Most of us are too tired to research how to make changes for our industry or to see if it's even possible to make changes.
    I joined OBAC (owner operator's business association of Canada) in 2010 but forgot to renew. I heard next to nothing from the organization that year and the things I did get weren't helpful to our main concerns as people trying for decent work. The organization was mostly into rules, regulations and on board computer news at the time. Oh and of course, that CVSA 2010 USA safety implementation.

Recently where I am, there was a reforming of the driver employment pyramid. To guard against any form of union, the giant company hired a third party P and D company to manage the operators and paid them a flat rate for services. For long haul they created a third party company to do all the safety, training and wages. This way, a union would just fold the third party or result in a termination of the third parties with contract cancellation and the massive company could hire or create another outside body.
    There had been some talk around in the last few years about trying to format transportation as a trade. First, second, third and fourth year then journeyman. I'm all for this. It would raise the cost of all goods on the market, most likely, and it is understandable that no one but operators would be happy with this format due to decreased profit margins for carriers from paying fair wages.
    There are no welders, plumbers or electricians being lifted from other countries that I know about and our Canadian tradespeople seem pretty satisfied.
    Becoming a trade would result in streamlining our profession into something with set wages and conditions (somewhat depending on commodity). Experience would be paid for in actual dollars and the associations would work for us. The bar would be raised on qualifications to operate and perhaps eliminate the hazards that come from inexperience on the roadway. I would gladly pay dues to join something like this.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  10. Tam_Tam

Mar 19, 2012
    Edmonton, Alberta
    I hope the secret police that regulate consumer goods don't find me in the middle of the night. Lol

11. bobbyt

bobbyt Medium Load Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Edmonton ab.
    Tam tam, there are all kinds of tfw's in the oil sands and every one is yelling bloody murder, literally. Did you hear about the oil tanks at cnrl ft mckay that killed 3or4 people. They were all tfw's. companies are still bringing them in, so even if driving was a trade tfw's would still come over.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.